MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 07-13-2003, 08:43 AM

Support The Troops

Hey guys. I know Pres. Bush said the war with Iraq was over, but I got a call last week that was a little disturbing. I won`t name any names, I`ll just say this guy is back in CONUS to get treatment and recover from injuries. In general the word from the sand is; The war may be "over", but we`er still gettin`shot at. The mail "sucks", but it`s better than nothing. Most of the guys getting shot at are young (19-20)
Those of us that have been there know what it`s like to be away from home for the first time and scared out of your pants. The rest of you don`t want`a know.
My point is this; These kids are young, scared and a LONG way from home. THEY NEED ALL THE SUPPORT THEY CAN GET! I`d be willing to bet everyone out there either knows someone in the Gulf, or knows someone who does. So, get off your butts and DO SOMETHING. You Knife makers, put togeather a good solid fixed blade and send it to a G I. He`l apperciate it A LOT and it`l make you feel good to. The rest of you, Talk to Parents and wives of G I`s. Find out what`s needed and sent it. You`d be amazed how good a box of cookies makes you feel when it`s the only box around!

Old 07-13-2003, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Frank-
This idea came up amongst a bunch of makers over in the Outpost when this all got started over in Iraq and when they contacted the powers that be they were pretty much shined on.
Can you give us some info of the how and where especailly if we don't personally know a GI serving over there?

I'll throw in a sheath if some one makes a knife. Leather will work just fine in hot and dry.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Living Legend

My small contribution.

Just when the SH$% hit the fan, I managed to rush a few custom orders from our troops only JUST in time before they shipped out. Did a family and friends price, well, 'cos they were friends anyway, but it was a bit hard to decide (knowing there was an all-or-nothing deadline) to get things done without cutting corners where it mattered most. Had to really drop the "I'm an artist" attitude and think hard that someone's life might depend on this. Seemed like the least I could do at the time.

Thankfully, aside from 1 of the knives lost (left on bunk, came back and it was gone...) none of the guys got hurt. So far no major casualties from the Aussie contingent, but you're right, its tense and the troops who have gotten home - I've met up with a couple of mates, and they are really ambivalent and feeling guilty that they're home and there are more guys and gals still there.

In Oz, we can send emails of support. Prayers help too.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 07-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Skilled

I'd like to send a knife to a soldier but from what I'm hearing other ''comfort items'' are harder to get. Maybe Ed Caffrey or someone else that has been over there could guide us in the right direction. Maybe we could make and auction some knives, then buy supplies that would make it to the troops. Cool idea though.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:26 PM

SUPPORT THE TROOPS

Hard data is HARD TO COME BY. I think that`s why they call it military intel. And yes "comfort items" are GREAT.

Best thing to do as I see it, is to contact Parents, Wives, or any close relitave and ask; "What`s needed, what`s hard to get, what would he, or she like that they can`t lay hands on"?
Then when you get a direct contact and a window opens do the best you can with everything you got.

Wave the flag on Sunday, it`l make you feel good, but after it`s all said and done it`s like some other stuff, it really don`t make anything different

Old 07-18-2003, 10:36 AM
Skilled

I had some problems getting knives over in the begining. I didn't have anyone specific to send them too so I was going to send them to the last USMC unit I was in. Was advised by the stay behind detachment that non-specific delevieries were being sent back to the sender due to security. The ones that I sent that had a name and rank made it in a reasonable amount of time.

I still have a couple on my bench. I'd be willing to send them but prefer to send them to lower ranking personell that have a hard time getting their own gear. Send an email if interested first come...

From the first time in the sand I know the things we used alot of were wet wipes, skin so soft, new socks and underwear, board games, reading material and non-parishable goodies. pudding, cookies, nuts hard candy smoke's and copenhagen..... copenhagen was especially hard to come by. any of these things will surely brighten someones day.

Seems as big a family as we have here there should be a way to start some form of database that would help us get stuff to friends and family of members here. Security is a concern but someone smarter than me should be able to figure something out.

also Iraq is big in the news right now but lets not forget our folks in A-stan.

Fear causes hesitation, hesitation will cause your greatest fear to come true.

Old 07-19-2003, 05:44 AM

support the Troops

Roger that Steve! The "powers that be", be they Army, Navy, marine, or Air Force all speak with one voice, "they ain`t got time to fart around with anyone without a federal stock number".

I got the same song and dance from the 2d division. So, I just went around`m. I`m working with a C W O in an L A R unit now.
I won`t pass out his name without his O K to do so. Security needs to be VERY TIGHT right now! The "Bad Boys" are looking for ANY way to Key in on folks they can hurt back home. For that reason I don`t think a Data base is a good idea.

Just keep going to Relations to send this stuff with regular "care
Packages". Everything Steve mentioned is good stuff. The relatives and friends will know whats hard to get. The guys will be bitching about what they can`t get. Believe me, an extra pair of socks don`t sound like much, unless you have COLD FEET!

Old 07-20-2003, 02:24 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to PS_Bond
Socks! Definitely socks!

One of my best purchases was a pair of thin silk socks worn as an inner pair - naturally anti-bacterial, so didn't stink up quite as badly; fast drying and really, really saved your feet on long tabs.

Peter
Old 08-10-2003, 03:33 AM
Registered

Talking

Howdy Ya'll!

I just came across this site while looking for someplace to either buy Kydex to make a sheath or a premade Kydex sheath for a knife of mine. Reading this forum thread makes me feel great I did not go to Iraq, I'm a Special Forces soldier stationed in Okinawa - so I've been spending a lot of time around the Philipines. It is awesome to see the support the Armed forces is getting from ya'll back home. Just one attaboy makes all the hard times worth it.

So - thanks for the kind words and actions!

Dan
Old 08-10-2003, 07:16 AM
Skilled

Welcome to CKD Dan. Hope you enjoy your stay. I don't think you will find a more informative site anywhere. Did you find your Kydex/ sheath??

Old 08-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Guru

Hey Dan,

Great to have you around. I spent a year on Okinawa (around '88). Loved the island, hated being away from family and friends for so long. Did you check out knifekits.com? They have some Kydex sheath kits that have the Kydex, rivets, belt clip, etc. Hope you get your sheath, one of the moderators on the sheath forum should get you set up on technique.

--Carl
Old 08-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Registered

Talking

Hi guys,

I did check out those knife kits - they look pretty nice. The thread that links to the kydex tutorial was a huge help also. Does not sound quite as hard as I thought it would be.

Thanks a bunch!

Dan
Old 08-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Registered

Steve,

I was checking out your site - interesting history you have there. I'm the medic on my ODA - guns and medicine always go good together.

Have fun!

Dan
Old 08-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Skilled

Never made it to the rock. seems like my whole tour went Israel, Africa, Spain.......and made one large loop.

If you need some help with that Kydex let me know. Depending on the type of knife I should have some sand colored kydex laying around here..........

Aww yes Bandaids and Bullets two of my favorite things. Of course I always prefered the mark 19 or Ma duce over a field dressing.

Old 08-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Registered

Steve - it sure sounds like you had some fun getting around. There is a tactical medicine forum over on the Lightfighter discussion forum - Click here to visit it

The MK19 always makes for a fun day at the range

We have some other fun toys over here

We love to go to parties

and enjoy kicking back and just hanging out with each other

Oh - the knife is a plain old KaBar. Sand colored Kydex sure would be nice

Thanks!

Dan

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives