MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 02-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Skilled

Georgia Guild Meeting

Charlie and I want to thank everyone that made it to the meeting Saturday for helping make this a great weekend. We had a great time. We especially want to thank Sandy Morrissey and Jim Small for loading up their stuff and hauling it all the way to Statesboro to put on two great demonstrations. They both held court for a couple of hours before lunch and it just doesn't get better than two Masters of their respective arts giving freely to those wanting to learn. Carl and John had their forges fired up and the anvils ringing Friday afternoon and Saturday morning for those that wanted to give it a try. It didn't take Carl long to have a young lady that was attending working on her first knife.

We also want to thank the ladies for their help with the social Friday night and with lunch on Saturday; you just make it seem so easy. John Costa brought not only Sandy to the meeting, but he also brought one of his smoked wild hogs that was the hit of Friday night. If you ever get a chance at one of those hogs, don't take missing it lightly. What John can do with one of those porkers and a smoker would make the Iron Chefs cringe in terror. Henry Cambron donated one of his miniature railroad spike knives for the John Poythress Scholarship fund and it was gorgeous. I hope everyone there could see the grin on Sandy's face when President Carl called out the winning number. Winning that knife would be a bright spot in any one's day.

The Georgia Guild picked up several new members. I hope some one will mention them by name since I don't have them. Wayne Hensley introduced Kevin Hoffman to the Georgia Guild. Kevin is a Board Member of the Knifemakers Guild and Wayne mentioned that he either "had" more rank than Kevin or "was" more rank than Kevin, not sure which.

It was a great day with good friends and knife makers from all over the state sharing information and tricks of the trade. Thanks again to everyone for attending and making this organization so worthwhile.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

thankyou Harry I had a great time and i know we all are greatful for all you and your brother did.george.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Skilled

Harry & Charlie,

Thank you for hosting a wonderful weekend and please be sure to say thank you to the ladies for putting up with us. The fellowship was great and the learning was more than worth the price of admission.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 02-03-2008, 05:29 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Harry, the grin is still there! I had a ball and you and Charley are the hostests with the mostest!!!

Old 02-03-2008, 07:22 PM

It surely was a good day to be in Statesboro. The weather started off cool but turned out great! As a veteran of LOTS of knife meetings I really enjoyed the change in the way the demos were done, with a couple of indepth demos going on at the same time so you could get some really detailed instructions.

As many of you know, Jim Small was the inspiration behind my John's love of knives and knifemaking. It was really good to see him there continuing his history of passing on the craft. There is no better name in knifemaking or engraving than that of Jim Small.

Master Leathercrafter Sandy Morrissey also was on hand with instruction on how to "complete the package" with his mini-class on the art of sheath making. He had a bowie made by Chuck Patrick and used it to teach how to fashion a sheath to fit and compliment the knife.

The meeting in Statesboro is also a good time to pick up needed supplies from Pop. His arrival at the meeting is a much anticipated event for the guys.

I was not able to get there for Friday night but we are thankful for the ladies who work so hard behind the scenes to make each of our meetings successful. Georgia has some of the best cooks in the world!

And what would be a knife meeting without knives? These are just a sampling of some that the guys laid out for everyone to look at and drool over. Carl has really paid attention to Sandy and has learned to take his really cool knives to a new level by paying attention to the total package. This beauty found a new home with one of our fellow members.

Wayne Hensley had this really cool dagger there.

And Emory Fennel brought his collection which just happened to include these 2 that my John had made a few years back.

I had a great time at the meeting. No better way to spend a Saturday than with great friends, in a really pleasant setting, all having a good time. Thanks Twins for your hospitality.

Oh yeah, a couple of months back we became a "multi-state" Guild with the addition of members from NC and Alabama. We now welcome into our group a new member, Jerry Partridge from DeFuniak Springs, Florida. He, his wife, and 2 sons made the trip and while there renewed a friendship from his military days with Bill Snow. Small world.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:25 PM

'Bout all I can say is ......... what a great weekend!
It's apparent to me that the Guild is really coming into it's own. It gets harder and harder to leave and head for home. Charlie and Harry made this weekend a most excellent road trip for me. The time I get to spend with these two gentlemen as well as with the rest of the Guild members and visitors is always special. I come home so pumped to push the envelope that I just now came in to see what's going on with the superbowl (and I may just go back out to the shop if NY doesn't get their offense in gear)!

Thanks for posting the pics Joan. You are really impressing me with your shutter skills. The pics you gave me at the meeting are exceptional.

The young lady Harry referred to is Wade Halloway's granddaughter Kala (correct me here Wade if I'm wrong). She's a very special little girl and has the potential to become a very gifted bladesmith if she wants. She's 7 yo, very smart, and has great focus...besides being as pretty as freshly bloomed dasey. She's got a permanent priority card to stand at my anvil any time. I hope Wade can figure a way to get back here from Texas and bring her up to Trackrock. I've got a short stumped anvil for the younger set.

Really sorry you folks that couldn't make it missed out. Looking forward to seeing most of you next month at Trackrock. March 28, 29, & 30th by the way.

RLo - if your ears weren't burning, it must have snowed pretty deep in Candler!

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 02-03-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I'm incredibly sorry that I missed this meeting. I was really looking forward to Jim and Sandy's demos. I came down with something (a cold, the flu, the crud, whatever) on Thursday, and while we made the trip down, I was feeling so bad on Saturday that I didn't even leave the bed until well into the afternoon. This is the closest I've ever come to a Guild meeting just to miss it -- my parents live about 10 miles from the Twins.

Sorry I missed it guys. I'm still recovering, and I do have several things on my list of things to do: Carl, I'll be looking into the gallery issue for you this week. I know that several of the members are having trouble logging in to the website, so if you are having problems, send me an email at webmaster@georgiaknifemakersguild.com.

Also, any new members that need an account set up on the site, send me an email to the above address as well. I'm working 14-hour days at my day job right now, so it may take a few days to get your account set up, but I will work on it. I promise.

Again, I'm sorry I missed it. I really wanted to be there. I'm glad everyone had a good time and that the Guild is reaching well beyond our state borders. To me, that just proves that we have a really good thing going. But I could've told you that a long time ago!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Skilled

I hate that I missed that one. Sounds like everyone had a great time.

Joan is really doing great with her photos. She is about ready to give "Coop" a run for his money.

Hope to see you all soon.

Robert
Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Steel Addict

Good friends , good food , good time , need i say more . SCOTT

Old 02-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Skilled

I was not able to be there for the meeting but Makayla (7) and I were there Friday and had a great time. It was good to see most everyone.

Carl thanks again for spending so much time with Makayla. You have never seen someone as proud as she was with the knife she made. That was all she talked about on the way home. She has already tried to design another knife that she wants you to help her with the next time. She also wants to get with Sandy to start on sheaths. She said she was sure that she could learn to make them with Sandy helping her. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:22 PM

Man....what a great time!
I answered as many questions via e-mail as I did at the conference. Charlie and Harry and their kin....wives and children....surly put on a good feed. I really look forward to the visit each year. I really enjoyed putting a name to a face....Sandy....you really are what they say...." A fine master of your craft". I hope we can visit real soon.
Thanks for the great time.....
Jim
Old 02-04-2008, 02:04 PM

Thanks Mr. Robert---coming from you, that is a great encouragement. I learned a lot looking at photos posted in the Photography forum but that demo you gave at John's a couple of months back let me see some of the things that are "concepts" in action. I am a hands on type person.

The greatest thing about the Georgia Guild (following close after the folks involved) is the willingness everyone has to share their own personal talents with others.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 PM

Jamie - so close and yet so far....sorry you and Robert couldn't make it. Always miss my friends even in the crowds. There's Trackrock next month.

Wade - thank you for giving me the opportunity to spend some time with Miss Makayla. I got the feeling that she's going to be good at what ever she decides she wants to do. Sure would like to have a picture of her forging if you or anyone else has one to share.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

All the Guild meetings are good and I always leave with an overload of information, but for an overall down home good time it's hard to beat the "deer camp". I look forward to next year with great anticipation.....Don

Harry, I've sent you a PM

Georgia Knifemakers Guild
ABS Apprentice

Tags
forge, forging, knife, knives