MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Steel Addict

Hypothetically speaking

If you were polishing a bead blasted blade from a DDR-II kit so it wsa no longer bead blasted, and managed to dull the blade, how would you resharpen it? Do any of the 'systems' stand out?
Purely hypothetically of course
:cool:

Dave
Old 03-02-2004, 01:51 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. I sharpen all my knives on my grinder with a worn-out 800 grit belt. In the absence of a grinder, however, nothing beats a good Arkansas stone and patience, except maybe a good diamond stone and patience.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 03-02-2004, 04:40 PM

I've got any one of a number of knife sharpening methods at my disposal these days...

and yet for basic, every day type sharpening, I'm still a big fan of the Spyderco Tri-Sharpener rod system...It's easy, highly effective, and an absolute no-brainer (that's the best part).

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 03-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Steel Addict

I am well qualified

For a no brainer item! I just got the Spyderco unit, and I'm looking at no fewer than 4 shredded pieces of defenseless paper on my desk and bare spots on my arm from shaving the hair off.

I like the Spyderco system!

Dave
Old 03-13-2004, 09:54 AM

All the methods above will work .
A Kalamazoo will do the trick also.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:41 AM

"Hairless" Dave W-

Glad that worked out.

By any chance, while you were at it, did you also purchase the additional new, extra fine rods we discussed? I've yet to get them for myself but I suspect that they'll do a nice job of adding an even finer edge to the knife.

They also now make diamond rods for the system...but unlike the (under $10) extra fine rods, the diamond rods are very pricey.

Do they still package the video with the sharpening system?...I thought that was a nice added benefit.

You do realize that Spring is coming, and the nice weather brings with it, short-sleeve shirts. Hairless patches on your forearm will make for an interesting fashion statement!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 03-14-2004, 12:41 AM
Steel Addict

Dennis,
I didn't buy either the finer rods or the diamond ones. I wanted to check out the system first. There are some who suggest using sand paper over the supplied rods if you want to cut away a bunch of metal fast with diamond rods. I guess you could do the same with ultra fine grit paper too.

The video is great!
Before I did the DDR2, I did a few other knives I had laying about, and they all went to nice paper cutters pretty quickly. The DDR was harder to sharpen, but I finally got there. I guess maybe the blade is harder on the DDR2 than the Chicago Cutlery stuff I had in the kitchen.

I'll keep the fashion advice in mind!

Dave

Tags
blade, knife, knives