MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:23 PM

Who can do a fast turnaround on 2 ATS-34 folder blades?

I have a couple of ATS-34 folder blades I need heat-treated and back in a hurry for a Christmas project. The blades should be ready to ship out from Utah tomorrow.
Does anyone know what my best bet is there? I looked at Texas Knife Makers but they do the heat treat on Tuesday and ship back the following Monday, and that puts me almost 2 weeks out and I can't wait that long. I saw an old post that Darren Ellis is offering heat treating services, but his website says they are on winter break until the 21st or so, plus I'm not even sure they still offer the service. Obviously I want someone that will do a decent job with the treatment, too.

Also, in the past I had a few batches done by Paul Bos. Now that he retired, did someone take over his business? Who is the go-to guy now?

Thanks,

Ben
Old 12-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Steel Addict

This is a salt lake company that does heat-treating in your area.
Personally I have never used them, but two different companies that I have worked for have used them.

Industrial Heat Treat
430 W 600 N
Salt Lake City, UT 84103-1322 map
Salt Lake City-Ogden, UT Metro Area
Phone: (801) 363-7318
Old 12-07-2010, 11:36 AM

Thanks very much for the info. I contacted them and they can do it but they want $95, which is a little (!) steep for 2 folder blades. I have 9 other fixed blades I can have them do and am waiting to hear back on what the pricing would be then. I'm guessing they charge for the batch, but either way it comes out expensive unless I can find someone local to add some blades to the mix and share the cost, which I doubt will happen on short notice.

Anyone else have suggestions I can check out? Please?

Thanks,

Ben

Tags
ats-34, christmas, folder, heat treat, knife, post