MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Skilled

My own personal hunter...raised clip w/ claro walnut

I have never used one of my own knives on any of the deer, elk, bear, or antelope I've killed over the years. Sad, I know. Our firearm deer season opens tomorrow and I told my wife this year, I'm field dressing my deer with one of my own knives.

So I took a couple days and and finished one for myself to use. It's kind of surprising, this knife isn't the steel or the wood that I thought I'd use for my own hunter but I love it just the same. I will use this knife as research and practice.
I used 1095 for the steel because I wanted to give it a real world test and see how it holds up with my heat treat on it. I chose curly claro walnut for the handle because it is a really nice piece and walnut just seems to be classically associated with hunting (on fine rifles and such). Plus, after the season, I will use this knife to practice some checkering on and I think the bold curly figure will look really cool showing through the checkering. I put some of my .45-70 rounds in the picture because it's my favorite rifle cartridge and I've killed a lot of things with that rifle. The damascus collar looks a lot better in person. I had a hard time getting good photos of that.

Specs:
Hand forged from 1095 steel, clay quenched and etched dark
7 7/8" overall, 3 5/8" blade, 3 1/4" actual sharp edge, .195 thick at the ricasso with sharp distal taper
False edge not sharp
Heavily rounded spine and ricasso edge
My own damascus collar
Curly claro walnut handle with oil finish
Stainless steel checkered finial (I am NOT going to be making a matching damascus finial , It's for my own knife and I really didn't have the extra time and recessed like that, I don't see much point, especially checkered)

All comments, discussion and critique welcome.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Steel Addict

Another beauty. I find it interesting how so many knifemakers don't have one of their own knives. I did the same thing for a moose hunting trip i went on last month. I tried to make it match my rifle and I even inflated spent casings into the scales. I even bought a checkering set but still never got around to try it out. Good luck hunting. Hopefully your knife get lots of use this season.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:01 AM
Steel Addict

As always it's a beauty!
Old 11-17-2014, 05:57 AM
Skilled

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Skilled

very nice knife. funny story, I went to leave on an elk hunt last month and realized the same thing. I didn't have a knife to take. But I had finished a knife for my brother the day before. I called and said hey do you mind if I test it out on an elk before I send it to you?

Tags
1095, blade, damascus, edge, forged, handle, heat, heat treat, hunter, hunting, knife, knives, making, quenched, scales, sharp, steel, walnut, wood