MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-24-2001, 09:39 PM
Steve Vanderkolff

sanding the curve in the gaurd

I am trying to make a few knives with some fairly tight curves in the gaurd. How do you sand that to as high a finish as the rest of the gaurd. I am shaping it with a round file and attempting to use some small round sanding wheels attached to my dremel but I am hoping there is a better way. By the way where do you get the gif for the flag beside your names?
Thanks
Steve

Old 10-24-2001, 11:13 PM
MIKE KOLLER

I can imagine that the dremel is leaving you with small flat spots in the curve.If the curve is open enough try going through the grits using you finger for backing or something soft enough to allow you to make the curve.

Good luck.
Mike K.

Old 10-25-2001, 04:54 AM
Don Cowles

I split my 2x72 belts into 1/2" or 1" widths, and slack-belt grind the inside curves of the guard through the same grits that I use on the rest of the handle.
Old 10-25-2001, 06:11 AM
george tichbourne

Lee Valley tools have soft sanding drums down to 1/2" diameter that can change sanding grits quickly. They use sheet sandpaper although fabric backed is more durable.

These don't dig in or flat spot.
Old 10-25-2001, 02:06 PM
Geno

After you have tried all the different power tools, try wrapping the sand paper around the same file you used to shape it.Grit by grit you can polish it in a pretty short time. I use shaped rubber blocks for a sanding back, it gives a good bite and smooth lines.It is also much more predictable of where it's going, than a Dremel tool.
Old 10-25-2001, 07:09 PM
William

I use a homemade sanding drum, 2'' wide masking tape rolled on a 1/4'' brass rod to the diameter desired, then peel back about 1/2'' and tape a strip up sand paper about 4'' long and wrap it up and go to sanding.

I use a cordless drill with varible speed and works good.

You have to go slow, but you can use any grit paper made, right up to the high 'thousands'.
Old 10-26-2001, 02:38 PM
MJHKNIVES

Steve,find a flag on the internet somewhere,that you like,right click and save to your documents/pictures,then go to the computer center forum here at CKD,look at my last post there and it will explain it all.Btw,if you cant find one,let me know and I can send you some email,as I have a few saved.Might try putting flags or US flags in your browser address bar and see what you get.
Old 10-28-2001, 11:30 AM
Steve Vanderkolff

Thanks to all.
Steve

Tags
knives