MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to JUNGIANEINSTEIN
Grizzly 2" x 72" grinder on infinite backorder

I ordered a grinder from Grizzly six weeks ago and was told that it would be at the latest the end of May as they were on backorder, I just received a letter from them basically saying they haven't got a #$%^ing clue as to when this item is to be in stock which leads me to the following observation. These folks are suffering from a severe case of cranio-rectal inversion . In the twenty first century I find it absolutely absurd to be expected to wait several months for a product which leads me to the question does anyone know anything about the kalamazoo 2" x 72" belt grinder w/o motor??? I was looking at it and the Coote and the log cabin forge model and discovered that the maker of the LCF is no longer with us sadly as it appeared to me to be an excellent product. The coote also seems well made however he doesn't take credit cards so the Kalamazoo is the only viable option and I was wondering if anyone had any info on this product, :confused: thanks for indulging my rant if you managed to read this far, for the record, I will never spend a penny of my hard earned cash on anything made or should I say sold by Grizzly again.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:43 AM
Steel Addict

Wow. That's bad news!

I'm glad I went the way I did with the Multitool II, sold by TKS. I looked at all the same models you did, and all look pretty good, especially the Coote. The problem with mine is my underpowed grinder (1/5th HP I think). The advantage is that same grinder is variable speed.

I am assuming you already have a motor since you are looking at unpowered units. Mind me asking what power set up you plan to use? I'd like to remount my Multitool with a motor and pullies. I just don't know how much power I really need.

Andy

Old 05-13-2005, 08:22 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I've been buying Grizzly products for 10 years and have not run into the situation you are having in all that time. It's unfortunate but things do happen that are beyond people's control and I imagine that is as true for Grizzly as it is for any of us. So, but a Coote or whatever else you may like but don't cut your nose off to spite your face. All of grizzly's machines offer great value for the money and you should at least consider them as you expand your shop in the future.

If Coote doesn't take credit cards perhaps you could go to the bank and use your credit card to buy a money order.

Since the Coote is fairly pricey you might have a look at the KMG. I think it is available without a motor and in a fairly stripped down version. If your budget will stretch that far it would be a far better machine to have than the Coote or the Grizzly. You could add features to it later and expand it into a versatile full blown grinder. The 3 wheel design of the KMG has several advantages over the 2 wheel grinders.

Good luck....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I guess I am just funny that way, once I get lied to, I generally don't care to ever get lied to again. I am sure there is a place out there somewhere that still practices business the way it should be practiced, and that is where I will take my business in the future. I am a bit demanding, but I can be if I like. The fact that they are sending out flyers advertising a product they cannot even give a date as to availability tells me that they are less than scrupulous in my book . I talked to Mr. Coote personally today and that IS where my money will be spent, somewhere I can have a personal one on one interaction with the manufacturer and get real answers from someone other than a phone answerer and a yes man/woman. I don't really have the $200.00 plus extra dollars to fork out, but I will sacrifice for quality and up front information, the problem is that grizzly, at least someone there, knew this was a problem and didn't care whether I wanted to wait or not. The Coote with the 10" wheel setup, the hollow grinding work rest and thje step-down pulley will run me around $480.00 total, I can get a baldor 1 hp motor for $130.00 new on ebay, so I will have a better and more versatile unit for a little more dinero.

Last edited by JUNGIANEINSTEIN; 05-13-2005 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Enthusiast

I agree wholeheartedly about the Coote grinder. I should agree, I have one I just unpacked in my garage! It is a TALL unit though. I purchased the 8 inch contact wheel with the small finger groove wheel atatchment, and the knifemakers rest. Upon inspection I think there is value there for the money. The belt tension spring adjustments seems a bit under-engineered, but functional. I'm also looking at e-bay for the motor. Just my two cents. By the way, I've been using a Delta 1x30 for about 8 years now, so this was a big step up in a machine and investment for me.
Kevin.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:40 AM
Steel Addict

I know this is a day late and a dollar short, but Tractor Supply carries a great supply of electric motors right on the shelf. All are single phase and most come in 3450 RPM and 1750 RPM. They also come prewired if you prefer it that way.

I'm looking at a 115V, 1HP, 1ph, 1750 RPM, prewired, and garanteed for $183. No shipping fees on a heavy item (which are outrageous) and no wait for the UPS guy.

Andy

Old 05-16-2005, 03:30 AM
Enthusiast

Talking

Thanks for the suggestion, I already ordered one from an ebay supplier, it is a store not an individual, anyhow, it is a new baldor single phase 1725 rpm farm duty tefc and surprsingly, the shipping was just over $10.00. Total came to about $145.00 and will ship this morning.....mitch
Old 05-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Steel Addict

little late but.....you could build one. There is a 4" x 2" drive and idler wheel with bearings and shafting on e bay if anyones interested.

Tags
forge