MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:11 AM
Enthusiast

what i didnt know about Loveless knives

i am friends on facebook with John Denton, and he posted a picture of a rare soldered guard on a Loveless knife...said that he used to solder them until 1992 when the solder changed and discolored his tangs, so he then when to a dry fit...now i always though they were soldered to keep moisture:water, blood ect. from getting under there so i am guessing he made them fit tight....is this the norm these days? does anyone else fry fit guards or do most still solder?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:12 PM
Hall of Famer

I don't know about the norm these days but I do know that makers do still soldier their guards. They will also use epoxy like JB Weld. However, a dry fit has been used even longer without any detriment to the knife or sword. There are even some old swords with fullered tangs that have not rusted through as some will guarantee will happen if you let moisture get under the guard.

Doug

Old 07-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Steel Addict

Or bolstered ones where you use a little super glue to seal the edges. I used to have an old soldering iron that was slotted to be used soldering. It was a lot better technique than using a propane torch to heat.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:55 AM

It's true, Bob quit soldering, but many, many makers still solder. It seals the area between the guard and the tang and give a nice looking fillet around the front of the guard. I still use the same type of solder that Bob used when I was with him, in fact he had the Eutectic Rep. come to the shop when we started using 154-Cm, as it was difficult to solder. With their flux, it was a lot easier. Soldering SS is a difficult task, even with this solder and flux, as one must not overheat and there isn't a large window between being not hot enough and too hot. I do not use solder at all with bolsters, as there is a great big space there to get flux trapped underneath and that will cause problems over time. Pop Knife supply has some great, less expensive solder that flows a little better than what we used to use. I'm hearing of a better flux, also. There are as many opinions about soldering and not soldering as there are knifemakers out there.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 02-21-2019 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typo

Tags
154-cm, bee, bolsters, epoxy, glue, guard, guards, heat, hot, iron, john, knife, knife supply, knives, loveless, made, makers, rare, shop, supply, tang, weld