MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 07-23-2006, 07:57 PM

Low ball him by $500 for the disappointment and the buyers remorse that has clearly been shown by others. Well, at least try....

Good luck. I know what Y.A.W. will say to you. Lucky guy.
Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-23-2006, 08:14 PM

Coop - Thanks. No, I don't think I'll mention this to her - not at least until the knife's been sold for a tidy profit. Thank goodness for quality people in the knife world that a guy can call to talk things over with. As I type this reply I can see your logo and by-line reminding us that "Fantastic People" is a big part of what's important about our little knife world. There is no doubt I'll pursue this second-chance offer but I've been advised to insist on a three day inspection period while funds are held in escrow. That way I can ensure the knife is what it's purported to be and it gives me time to develop a few sale options of my own (after photographing that puppy of course). With just a little more luck this may wind up paying for that Tilt/Shift camera lens I just got!

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 07-24-2006, 07:56 AM
Steel Addict

I've read this entire thread, and still don't understand why the two highest bidders went to all the trouble to bid and then dropped out. All I can say, Buddy, is I am glad you insisted on an inspection period with the money in escrow. Very smart move. I hope the knife is everything you expect.

Dave
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 PM

The 'second chance offer' was a fake after all. Fortunately I gave no vital information other than my name and shipping address. The "seller" stated his intent to ship the knife for a 3 day inspection per my request but didn't ask for funds to be placed in escrow. The knife never arrived and I began to re-look at the sequence of events the e-mails back and forth and further irregularities surfaced. I re-submitted the info to eBay security and got a reply confirming the fraud.

This guy was slick - too slick for me to know for sure but the 3 day inspection request is what protected me in this case. In reviewing his eBay look alike presentation after the fact I can see that the whole thing is geared to the disappointed and out-bid bidder who will litterally jump at a second chance offer at his high bid and click the crook's 'buy it now' button, which presumably accepts payment etc. Wow! Sometimes I get to thinking I'm pretty smart but a close call experience like this one jolts me back to reality and helps me understand that I (we) don't have to be smarter than the crooks as long as we know how to be safe! Lesson learned.

Now the crook has my address (e-mail and physical) which may mean nothing. Fortunately a large hidden safe in my home and two safety deposit boxes at the bank mean there is very little a thief could get by breaking in. Additionally, we have a "Make My Day" law out here in Colorado that has repeatedly withstood tests in court. And finally, there's my good ole Remmington 12 g slug gun with extended magazine.... So, you see, I really don't have to be smart... now, do I?

Old 08-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Whoa! With that kind of arsenal I think me and the wife better not bring that rocker direct to your house!
Seriously, I'm happy you didn't get burned. Your lesson teaches us all a few things. Of course it's always cavaet emptor anyway, but at these high prices, when it becomes a felony, we need to all be on the guard.
Good going Buddy!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 08-03-2006, 06:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Good bullit dodgin Buddy. I know you are disappointed. It seems my deal fell thru also, at the loss of no funds to me, thankfully. Some times you get the bear.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 AM
Steel Addict

more than likely, the guy or his biddies bid the price up, dropped out, and then went after you, Buddy. The escrow deal is a lifesaver. On a slightly different note, do you still think the knife was a real Moran? It seems to me, that if it was, he would have completed the deal on the up and up. Just curious. Also, is there any indication as to who the man behind the attempted sell really is?

Dave
Old 08-03-2006, 11:19 AM

I do think the knife in the pictures the seller posted on eBay were of a real Moran blade. Whether the seller posessed the knife or not I couldn't say. I think you're right, Dave, to suspect that it was a sham auction to start with, designed to snag a real bidder with a 'second chance' offer. I forwarded subsequent e-mails to eBay security as a follow-up to my initial notification. They replied that this was indeed a 'spoof' and that the sender has been 'reported to the proper authorities.' I don't have any idea as to the identity of the perpetrator other than the fact that he signed his e-mails 'David' - Hmm. That's pretty close to 'Dave' isn't it? Hmmmm............

Old 08-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Steel Addict

He Didn't!!! The SOB used my name? The nerve! Seriously, its too bad these guys can get away with this stuff. A less wary guy would have jumped at the chance to get a true Moran blade. It's a really, really good thing you insisted on the escrow account, it screwed up his game.

I bet Mr. Levine could shed some light on this.

Dave
Old 08-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Registered

its ok, man ! 2 more morans on ebay now! one is lime kiln .yahoo !

Tags
blade, knife, knives