MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 10-16-2004, 09:22 PM

getting started

what is absolutely necessary to get started making folders. i have access to a drill press grinder and some hand tools. What materials would you reccomend for a first folder. Also what kind of drill bits reamers etc at required to put in 2-56 screws. what size pins and how big of pivot would you reccomend Would you reccomend a liner lock or a frame lock for my first one.

Thanks for all you help
Andy
Old 10-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Skilled

answer to first question is knowledge,read everything you can before starting.second would be to buy an inexpensive kit and assemble it first before trying to build a liner lock from scratch.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:27 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

What Shakudo said is exactly right - start reading and try a few kits. Liner locks and lock backs are entirely different things. The exact tooling will differ, the process of building them differ, everything is different except that they both have a blade and a handle. So, build some kits and see which you prefer. Then, try to copy the parts in a kit and build your own. Next, start modifying the parts so that the design changes and the knife starts to become your own. That's how it gets done, not by having a list of every drill bit, reamer, and possible material.

One of the most useful tools you can own for any kind of knifemaking is a drill chart. Any place that sells drill bits should have one and often they are free. MSC has some nice large wall mount charts for $3. With that and a $20 dial caliper you will be able to tell what drill bit is needed for any tap, countersink, or clearance hole.

Finally, one possible set of answers to your questions can be found in my liner lock tutorial. It takes you step by step through the process of designing and building a liner lock using just the drill press and grinder that you already have. You should still probably build the kits first but it won't hurt to look and get a better understanding of the whole process. There is a thread on the tutorial called Yet Another Liner Lock Tutorial about 3 or 4 topics below this one ..........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 10-17-2004 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:44 AM
Skilled

Check out Ray's tutorial, it was a help to me. Also check out Jason Howells tutorial. I recomend getting Peter Atwoods frame lock video. I all but wore mine out watching it. As for tools, all I have is a grinder, small drill press, and a metal bandsaw. A cross sliding vice is a big help for cutting in the lock, but you could just use a dremel. Calipers are a must if you want it to work properly. I learned a whole lot just building my first one. Every one just gets better after the first.

Jeremy

Old 10-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

you can come by my house and i can walk you through my way. there are many ways my way is how i do it. it may be easier for you another way. but i'm in fairborn OH at Wright patt. some saturday all day you can come by i'm swamped until school at wright state lets out. i build liner locks.

Tags
blade, knife, knives