MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 07-18-2004, 12:20 AM
Steel Addict

samber stag for folders

Saw samber stag for sale on ebay 5 sets of scales for 65.00 he as other lots as well . I tried pasting the URL on another post the whole addy wouldn't come up. If interested just go to custom knives on ebay and time ending soonest should be on page 2 or 3. check out his other auctions as he has more. He says he got it from Jimmy Lile when he closed his doors.
Terry
Old 07-18-2004, 06:29 AM
Skilled

Unless the sambar stag has very shallow grooves in it the handle will end up rather thick for the average folder. Red deer antler has less texture and can be cut thinner. I prefer Red deer to Sambar on smaller knives because of this characteristic.

Old 07-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Skilled

having never had a piece of sambar in my hands,i can only judge texture by a photo of sambar.the red deer antler i have appears to have every bit of texture sambar does.the only difference i can see is the amount of pith. i will take a donation of a piece of sambar to make a visual comparison if anyone would like to sent me a piece.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Skilled

Basically red deer has a pebbled finish while the sambar has deeper parallel grooves. These grooves are normally 1/8" deep or deeper while the pebbled surface of red deer is seldom 1/8" deep though I have seen areas on some main beams that are the exception.

The hard outer shell of red deer is thinner than sambar but the red deer shell is much whiter.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Steel Addict

i know nuthin bout either..the guy says he bought it from knife maker jimmy lile , who hand picked it for his folders the pieces are are small around 2 3/4 x 7/8 " on average. i'll donate some pith if you pay shipping & handleing of $39.95

Terry
Old 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Skilled

That is interesting since Lile did not sell stag because his shop was still making knives the day he died. Not that that is important to the stag being available but just curious.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Steel Addict

below is a copy n paste of the sellers pitch.

FIVE SETS ONE MONEY ,Heads up folder makers;Real deal Sambar Stag. This material was ordered to spec.by the late great Jimmy Lile.I was fortunate to acquire it when lile knives closed the doors.These pieces measure 2+1/8 to 2+1/4 in length and 7/8 wide. There is little or no pith.They are ideal for the medium and small folders.A good variety of colors in the package.Get um while their hot the price will go up,and theres no end in sight for the embargo in India on this stuff.

Estate sell maybe??

Last edited by tmiller5087; 07-18-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:58 AM
Skilled

When Lile Knives closed up a few years back they sold off leftover inventory. Texas Knifemakers Supply got some and it sold quickly.

At those sizes Red Deer has little or no pith as well, in fact I have some tines that could be cut to supply those sizes if anyone would like some.

Last edited by george tichbour; 07-19-2004 at 07:03 AM. Reason: addn

Tags
knife, knives