MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-24-2000, 12:49 PM
boybacon

Grinding Jig?

Hello, All.

I'm aspiring to be a knifemaker (stock-removal, I think), and I've got a question regarding jigs. After doing all of my reading (3 or 4 of the knifemaking books out there), my greatest fear is grinding through a blade and/or having poor grinds. Is there a jig out there that would help me with my grinds? I saw that Gene Osborne has one that he made out of spare parts (tool time forum), but I was wondering if there was one available commercially. Thanks.

--Eric

Old 12-24-2000, 01:44 PM
Ed Caffrey

Several of the knifemaking suppy outfits carry grinding jigs. Included are Koval, K&G, and Sheffield knifemaker supply. Eventhough the desire to make "perfect" grinds right out of the gate is understandable, I am of the opinion that one should not use them. Making mistakes, and learning how to repair them, or learning to avoid them, is a very valuable part of the learning curve. Don't get me wrong, jigs have their places, where exacting tolerances must be maintained, but to use one when grinding blade bevels is to deny yourself the satisfaction and achievement that comes from learning to do it free hand. I believe that it also limits a person, in that if you grow dependent on it, you will not advance your skills beyond what that jig will allow you to do. Just my thoughts on the matter. Have a wonderful Christmas!
Old 12-24-2000, 02:47 PM
Don Cowles

I agree wholeheartedly with Ed on this. I bought one of the jigs (about $300 worth, as I recall) years ago, and never used it once. I wound up selling it to a man who did not have the full use of his arms, which is an area where its use is probably appropriate. I also sold it for *much* less than I paid for it.

I think a new maker should plan on making mistakes as he climbs the learning curve. It makes sense to grind your early blades from O1, or even scrap mild steel, until you get a solid feel for the equipment and the technique. Starting out with Devin Thomas damascus is a recipe for disaster and disappointment. Some folks even learn by grinding on strips of wood lath, although you cant really get the feel of steel that way. Even accomplished makers are periodically humbled by an unexpected hiccup or a moment's inattention. We just have to have the grace to say, "I screwed that one up," and try again.

When I am making a knife for a specific customer, I usually grind 2 blades, just in case.
Old 12-24-2000, 05:20 PM
primos

Well, I gotta agree too. I pretty much forge everything now, but when I started out, I strictly used the stock removal method. My story is very similar to Don's. I bought one of the well known grinding jigs several years ago. I tried it once, and put it away.

Two weeks ago, I sold it to a maker who only has full use of one hand. It worked out pretty well. He got $300 worth of jig and elevator attachment, for $150, and I got the thing out of my way, and a little extra Christmas money.

Old 12-24-2000, 08:31 PM
BCB27

Hate to sound like a broken record, but I have to agree with the others. I tried one thinking I would be saving myself time, but ended up working freehand. I am now glad I did.

Brett
Old 12-25-2000, 08:15 PM
Ray Rogers

I feel like the little guy in the background saying "Me too! Me too!" but I have to agree with all those other guys.

I thought I would never learn to hollow grind and I still screw up but, man!, when you get it right it just feels great! Besides that, some people don't really feel like a blade is handmade if you grind with a jig (although I know at least one Big Name maker who does and makes no secret of it). I just do what Don Cowles suggested and make two blades. Usually, I end up with another knife I can sell...
Old 01-04-2001, 12:43 AM
Geno

Jigs many times cause controversy if used on something called "handmade". Custom bootmakers have jigs as do many other craftsmen.
IMHO - jigs are used to increase speed and accuracy. I still grind many knives by hand (all my customs) but I use my grinding jig for production runs. I only use it for bevels. (And as some know I grind my bevels first.) I can grind to 600 grit without ripples, repeatedly. The jig is faster and steadier than my hand - especially if I have many to grind.
Grinding just a few blades doesn't warrant setting it up. Grinding 12 - 100 is certainly worth it for me.
Old 06-11-2001, 12:16 AM
Nathan House

HI
I think jigs have there place,just because it is a jig does not
mean it will do the work there is some skill involved in it.
I know of at least a dozen top knife makers use them
time is money,and a jig is the way to go if you are grinding
fast.grinding is not the only thing in knife making there is fit and finish,
Nathan
Old 06-11-2001, 04:51 AM
Bob Warner

I am someone on the other hand, that has never used a jig. At first I wanted one really bad so I could make "PERFECT" knives on day one. Well, you won't do that with ANY jig. I was also limited by finances so getting everything I needed and a jig was out of the question. Therefore, I had to grind free hand and am now really glad I did. I can pick up a piece of steel and start grinding without any setup. The grinder is there and the steel is in my hand, nothing else needed to start work.

I recommend you try some practice grinding on cheap steel as suggested earlier and then if you just can't improve your skills (after a lot of practice) then consider the jig.

Hope it all works out for you.

Old 06-11-2001, 11:18 AM
Geno

Eric,
Go to TOOL TIME (P#3.)
You can see how I built mine.
Two slotted angle irons is about all you need. The rest is for my convenience of setting up different grinds.
My new video shows it quite clearly.
I show how to grind on a jig in the video.
The basics and theory are all there.

I grind most by hand yet I learned a lot from the jig too.
Reapetability is the best reason for jig grinding.
The skill comes in time wheather on a jig or not.
I offer it as a learning tool and not a FIX ALL.

If you get the video($20.00) it should answer your questions.
If you want to build one,I will help you anyway I can.
If you want to buy one,OK.It won't work the same but should get you started.
I built mine for less than $5.00 total.(the flexhead part)
Just let me know how I can help!
.................................................B E BLESSED!!!.............

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives