MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-30-2001, 07:29 PM
DC KNIVES

Corian

Just curious how this stuff works as handles.Does it grind easily and how well will it hold up in use?Dave
Old 06-30-2001, 09:09 PM
Bob Warner

Works easily with regular woodworking tools. It makes great durable knife handles but some people seem to think it lowers the value of the knife. I have made other things out of it but never knife handles. I have seen some and I think they look great. Give it a try. I know locally you can get the scraps from counter tops from some places and use that. The price is right.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-01-2001, 06:24 AM
Don Cowles

I have only used it on one knife, and probably won't use it again. It will chip, and I think Bob's comment about it lowering the value of a knife is accurate.

On the other hand, it is a good medium for improving your scrimshaw skills if you are into embellishing your blades.
Old 07-01-2001, 12:25 PM
jeffj

Don,

I know that most makers I've seen refer to any of the molded countertop materials as "Corian", when in fact there are 3 different materials used as molded countertops. (Ask my wife how I know...new kitchen!) Corian is a brand name (and the first) of such countertops. This material is all acrylic and I've found it to be very hard. The other two material types are formed from polyesters and acrylic/polyester blends. These I've found less hard. All that to ask if what you used was Corian and if you found this particular material too brittle? I've taken several whacks at a small piece with a hammer on concrete and it refused to chip unless I really put some muscle into it. I may need to test my material again?!

Jeff
Old 07-01-2001, 01:16 PM
Don Cowles

Jeff- Yes, it was indeed corian, and maybe it's not fair to say it chips easily. It does chip if dropped (micarta doesn't) on concrete. It also scraches and dulls quite easily. There is an intangible there as well, and I guess "clunkiness" come the closest to describing it. If pearl is classy, and ivory is elegant, and plastic is cheesy, then (to me), Corian is clunky.

No quarrel with those who want to use it if it works out for them, but as I said earlier, once was enough for me.
Old 07-04-2001, 04:33 AM
atbarr

Corian

Several years ago, I made a couple of kitchen knives for my Wife and in-laws. They are still
holding up. You can see some minor chipping and scratches. I would not use it on a knife
I'm putting on a table to sell.

A.T. Barr
www.customknives.com
Old 07-04-2001, 07:23 AM
Don Cowles

Well said, A.T.- I think that was the sense I was trying to get across.

Tags
knife, knives