MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 08-11-2003, 08:48 AM
Skilled

Trackrock Fall Hammer-in

The time to smell the smoke and eat the good grub and smash the steel will be upon us again soon. Popular vote has settled on the w/e of November 1st and 2nd. Everyone is more than welcome to come down or up earlier if you wish. It would sure be nice if everyone in the Southeast could have a central hammer-in. I know lots of folks have a Fall shindig every year. I think you would be hard pressed to find a place as nice and amenable as Trackrock. Plus it's near Sandy's house .

Here's a link to Trackrock Campgrounds were we hold the event

Trackrock Campgrounds

Last edited by Gouge; 08-11-2003 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:40 PM

Boy howdy, boy howdy, boy howdy!
Plenty of time to plan, so no excuses.
Mark - don't plan on no butt-nakid saphire hunting and bring them other toes. We might can get them nailed or welded back on!
Crex

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Master

Hey guys, isn't that the same weekend as Ron Claiborne's Hammer-in in Knoxville? If so, it'd really be counter productive to compete for the same weekend as that one! I may be wrong about the date he's chosen, but it'd be worthwhile checking into.

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 08-13-2003, 06:10 AM
Guru

Yes, the first weekend in November is the same weekend as Bowies. His will start on Halloween and go through the weekend. Someone suggested a list of all the hammer-ins and their dates, and it would probably be a good thing.

KempKnives.com
Old 08-13-2003, 06:17 AM
Skilled

I made a post in the CKD wish list but noone else chimed in. It would be very beneficial.

mark
Old 08-17-2003, 06:14 AM

Don't recon it's a competition. We just all want to do the same thing at the same time and geography gets in the way. Would be nice to see events posted in advance so planning can be done but that's why there's more than one grocery store. It's good to have choices.....the American way!
I'd like to attend them all but just ain't gonna happen.
Crex

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Master

Hi Carl,

I hear ya, definitely not a competition, but I was hoping to attend TrackRock this time, but given the choice I have to attend my mentor's hammer-in - Ron's. Also, given the proximity of the two, it'd be nice if they were on different weekends, I'm sure there are others who will have to make a choice now too...I guess this just really drives home the point that we need to have some sort of announcement forum for these things. I know Ron already rescheduled his once due to it initially falling on the same weekend as the one up at Bill Moran's place.

Anyway, given I have a large order to fulfill by November 1, and then my razors hitting the retail market, I probably don't have much time for traveling this Fall anyway...I guess I'll see/meet you guys at the Spring TrackRock Hammer-in!

-Darren

Old 08-19-2003, 02:38 AM

Sorry Darren, we moved it further into the fall to try and avoid the same conflicts we had last year. Scheduling, scheduling, scheduling.......never gets done. What's a mother to do?
Crex

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Master

Hi Guys,

I completely understand the scheduling problems, it's hard to always get everything to work out for everyone every time. (try to say that 6 times fast! )

...but, let me plead my case for this particular time. You guys are holding a hammer-in that is very close to Knoxville (relatively speaking). The one that Ron is holding is going to be a bigger event with lots of demonstrators and hands on forging work too. The one you guys are holding is a lot more up close and personal from what I hear. Both types are great, they serve different purposes in the knifemaking community, and personally, I love attending both types! I know there are a lot of others who love attending both types too. It'd be great if we could leave that window of opportunity open for those people who want to attend both (and can). I spoke with Ron recently and he'd love for you guys to come up to Knoxville to the Hammer-in, also, he seemed to me to be interested in going to yours as well. Anyway, I don't know if anything can be worked out, but I wanted to plead my case anyways...

Just so you have an idea about the one going on in Knoxville, here's a list of the demonstrators who will be here (so far):

Jim Batson - *possibly*

Alex Daniels - *possibly*

Larry Harley - Demonstrating - oh, I forgot what...something good

James Gibson - Demonstrating forging and flintknapping. Also, teaching hands on forging

Len Landrum - Demonstrating and talk on 52100

Ken Durham - Demonstrating Silver Sheaths

Ron Claiborne - Demonstrating silver wire inlay?

Mark Zelewski - From Knifeworld - Talk on Antique Bowies and will have his Bell knives on hand for us to ogle over

Richard Williams - Teaching hands on forging - he's the Bladesmith/blacksmith from Dollywood

So anyway, I guess we all really need to press for some type of place we can post schedules for upcoming hammer-ins. It's been talked about several times in the past. Maybe one of you guys who are in good with Alex can plead the case with him to create either a forum, or better yet, an online calender that people can submit posting to so everyone can see what is coming up for the next 6 months to a year.

-Darren

Old 08-20-2003, 06:24 PM
Steel Addict

so many hammer-ins...so little time. I talked to Ron last week and regretfully had to decline his fall hammer-in this year due to prior scheduling of the Piney Woods Fall Hammer-in at the ABS school in Ol' Washington. This is also an outstanding event and I will truly miss not going to Ron's or back down to TrackRock this fall.

What's a hammer-in addict to do?

Hi my name is Rob....and errr.... I'm a hammer--olic.

Old 08-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
Its regretable i know we were truly hopeing that you could be here Rob but i understand that you made plans to be some where else ,
we will truly miss you and your Dad and Mother this year and we hope things go great for you at the fall hammer in at the ABS school .
It seams that no matter what its hard to get them all in at everybodies convenince. i also want to thank you again for your support in helping with the hammerins that we produce in the east Tenn area you are a constant inepiration to be around and also the great grinders that you build for our craft in mind . you have spoild us for sure ,
I also what to invite all that can to attend our fall hammer in the 31of Oct.1and 2 of November we will have some great demos for the new guys as well as the addvanced knife maker we have a good line up and are exspcting more to sign on . as the time gets closer we will give a complete linup and its free for the showing up we hope to have a lot of knife makers here to help each other and if you want you can camp on the place
bring anything you want to sale tail gats sale are encouaged
as befor i really wish that we could get this so that we all could attend both events if i could change i would but i have commetted to much and have moved the date already
, i hope all can attend ,i was also wanting to go to the track rock my self may be next year .
Ron Claiborne

Old 08-21-2003, 05:40 AM
Skilled

I have it on good authority that the forums will soon have a calender where you can post your events.

Mark
Old 08-21-2003, 05:54 AM
Skilled

Does anyone know of any major hammer-ins in the Spring and the dates. Maybe if we started the planning NOW we could get things better organized. I know over on Don Fogg's forum they have the calender setup available.

I've still got a ton of web space. I could make a page just for hammer-ins if folks wanted.

Mark
Old 08-22-2003, 06:02 AM

It is very much a dilemma, like a kid with a dollar at the dollar store! The calender scheduling sounds like a must these days.
Feel your pain Rob! (and everybody else for that matter)
If we do get a scheduling file set up, it would be good to know just what kind of event is going to take place.
A while back, I scheduled to go and went to an event that was promoted to be a "Hammer-in, Grind-in" (in that order). Drove a long ways to get there and I was the only one that showed up with a hammer.
All the activities were centered around grinding and polishing.
While I learned a great deal and met some very fine makers, I really had come to see and do some serious hammering. This also included a fee and more than enough exposure to someone's knife making and supply business. So basically I "paid to shop" for stuff I didn't and don't need! And wasted a perfectly good forging day.
I realize that it was/is my responsibility to find these things out ahead of time and I know/knew better. I do think we should make sure we articulate what the event's about, if there are any fees, and if/what kind of facilities are available. Most of the time this is done and the info readily available. But we can best serve each other by being up front.
Not picking anyone out and not trying to start anything, just sharing an experience and lesson learned. Most of you guys are very upfront and sharing and I respect all of you. I would sincerely hope that if anyone felt we Track Rockers have missrepresented anything about our events, they will let us know. We'll fix it.
Just remember, we can all be at the "Great Hammer-in" that's coming. So behave and try not to make it badly.
Crex

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-22-2003, 06:58 PM
Skilled

dibs

ok i got dibs on first weekend in march!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
anybody else planing one then????
u guys r right about hanging togather and kinda coordinating things!!!
i,d love to see all the trackrockers shiney grinders and forgers
get togather close to here
ark is too far to go and if we use our heads we can arrange for real talent to teach us stufffff
just like at the abs school or batsons
only closer
harley

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives