MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Skilled

Craftsman 2"x42" Belt/Disc grinder conversion (72")

A friend of mine came by the other night and I was talking about making a platen like Diamond G's. The conversation led us to to pull out my old Craftsman 2"x42" , which has been colecting dust since I got my BIII.

This is what we came up with........I wanted to see if we could keep the cast housing as much intact as we could, so if I wanted it to be a 2x42 again I could.

Picture #1 is how the machine is to start with. We pulled the drive pully and unbolted the housing.

This next 2 pics show the housing with parts of it cut away(in front). This was done with a sawsall.

I'll be back with more in a bit.
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"
Old 01-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Skilled

This shot shows two slots for mounting. Holes were drilled at each end of the slot and then the web was cut with a jig saw and cleaned up with a dremmel tool.

Now it's time to make it all happen......A picture is worth a thousand words.

It took a bit to get everything straight and level, but so far so good. We have not finalized everything(still working on platen).

I kept the spring tensioner wheel, so you don't have to worry about that. The only thing is that that wheel is also the tracking wheel.......I think this should really be after the drive pully and before the platen to work corectly, but hey, I never built one of these before.
I think I might cut out part of the housing around the front wheel(tension/tracking) so as to avoid getting a finger sucked in between the wheel and housing. I'll post some more pics when it's done.
DISCLAIMER: I really don't know what the hell I'm doing so if you get hurt or killed by making these mods it's your own freekin fault. Alright?

Let me know what you all think.
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

Last edited by Mace; 01-20-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:12 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Mace
Necessity is the mother of invention!!

I dont see why it wont work, Im curious to see your platen, please post some pics when its done.

And please use my time tested safety method of trying a new machine like this.

1.) Remove any breakable or flamable materials from proposed flight path.

2.) Have 911 pre programed on your speed dial (optional backup dialer may be in order)

3.) Wearing proper safety gear and football helment, stand in a safe position, turn your
Back to the machine, then close your eyes, cross your fingers and flip the switch!

Cant wait to see your new platen!!

I have a feeling that with all the intrest in this platen, we will have some new and impruved versions of the wheel out very shortly!!

God Bless
Mike

Old 01-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
After looking through this it got me thinking. I have a 1 x 30 belt grinder that I use. Do you think it would be possible or worthwhile to do something similar to it? My biggest concern would be, is the motor going to have enough power to turn it? That's why I also said worthwhile. Cause if I would then have to upgrade the motor, what would be the point... I've already spent more than what it would cost to get this thing replaced or maybe put a down payment on a better grinder. I'm curious to know what you think...

Chris Nilluka
Old 01-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Skilled

Chris,
I would like to think you could do anything if you put your mind to it. As far as your machine goes: If your motor spins a 1x42 inch belt I would think it would spin a 72" belt.
I don't know what you machine is like, but I'm sure with some "creative fabrication" something could be done. Just be sure to use DiamondG's advice. It's smart to be safe!
Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

Old 01-24-2005, 11:32 PM
Skilled

I like this. Since I'm hoping to build a belt grinder at some point, I always enjoy seeing conversions like this.

There's another 1X42 to 1X72 conversion over at Primal Fires. Makes ingenious use of inline skate wheels and plastic pipe to make rollers for it. http://p222.ezboard.com/fprimalfires...opicID=1.topic

A blog I share with a friend where we think out loud upon occasion: http://shareourcampfire.blogspot.com/

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My new blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/