MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Steel Addict

anyone here know about firearms?

ok so my brothers girlfriend is a cop....Im looking to get her a holster for her
smith and wesson 9mm.
it is a m&p 40 cal.
can someone tell me if this one will fit her firearm?
http://www.fobusholster.com/catalog/...ters-31-1.html

Old 12-03-2009, 06:37 AM
Master

Brian-
First, if this is her duty weapon many departments are very specific on what holsters officers can use so you may want to confirm this type is ok. If this is her personal off duty pistol you'll want to find out how she likes to carry it. To me a holster is like a good pair of boots - it has to fit properly and get the job done. Once you get those things answered you'll need to find out what size frame her M&P is - i.e. full size, compact, etc. You mentioned it was a .40 cal in one place and a 9mm in another - I don't think the frame size is different between the .40 & 9mm so probably doesn't matter, but you should find out which one it is. After all that start your search - the link you post didn't list the M&P as available so I'm guessing it probably won't work. Molded holsters, like kydex sheaths, are very specific to the intended model. Hope that helps!
-dr

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Steel Addict

thank you for the info...
it is for off duty and to take her firearm to work so if she has to go into a store or something she can not leave it in her car.
the model info,Smith & wesson 9mm m&p .40 caliber
my brother looked at the box for the info and there was nothing about it as a compact frame.I will call him today and have him look a little more,,,thank you
here are two other holsters i have found that will work..He told me that it needs to lock into the holster as her firearm does not have a Actual Safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Yea...eature=related

they both are kinda the same thing and can be made to sit any place you would like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP1xT...layer_embedded

Last edited by brianblade; 12-03-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Master

Brian-
A couple of things..... First the M&P actually does have a thumb safety. Second, it's either a 9mm OR a .40 cal - can't be both. If you borther has the box it should have the model number. It would be something like this:

M&P40 - .40 cal full size
M&P40c - .40 cal compact
M&P9 - 9mm full size
M&P9c - 9mm compact

I would use the model number to find the holster. The holsters you posted are very nice, but it can be difficult to draw the weapon from a locking holster unless it's being worn properly. If she plans on carrying it anwhere but on her hip (i.e. purse, bag, etc.) I would look for something a little easier to draw. If she is concerned about retention maybe a thumb break would work. I can tell you from experience that people who carry a gun for a living can be pretty particular about their holsters. Maybe you tell her your intentions of buying her a holster and invite her to shop with you??

-dr

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-03-2009, 08:58 AM

Ok... ALLOW ME... and pay close attention!

I actually own the gun of which you speak. Dave is right--It is either a 9MM or a .40S&W--not both. No matter, as they are the same size externally. Mine is a .357SIG, again, same size. Only the .45 is different.

As for the safety, Smith and Wesson makes them both ways--with and without. Check the website for details on that.

I have a concealed carry ####### and carry this gun every day. I am also trained by the masters out at Front Sight where they are not fans of locking off-duty holsters.

I carry mine in a Galco M5X Matrix. Galco is the brand. M5X Matrix is the model. It is a simple top draw holster with no tricky mechanisms that will only confuse someone under stress (possibly costing them the gunfight). It has a tension screw for retention and that's it. It is made of black Kydex-like material with a paddle-back belt mount. If you are unfamiliar with that term, it means that it has a curved paddle that you can just tuck into your pants with little nubs on it to keep it there. No belt is required, but you can wear one if you like. I like this set-up because I can just tuck it in and go with no more effort than it takes to put my knife in my pocket.

This holster will accomodate any of the M&P models except the .45, and it doesn't matter if it's a compact, sub-compact, or whatever.

Even better, they are cheaper than any you've posted here.

Here is a link. http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...3227&GunID=329

Mine had a little too much curve in the paddle for my meaty thighs, so I heated up the kydex paddle with my heat gun, and flattened it out a bit.

Good luck!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 12-03-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Master

Thanks for chiming in Andy! Good to hear first hand experience - do you have the full size or compact? I didn't realize they were making a "non-thumb-safety" version - good to know. Some of the PDs around here are adopting the M&P - I don't own one, but I've shot the .40 a couple of times - seems to be a pretty solid pistol. It's too bad more departments can't see the advantage of the .357 SIG - My EDC is a Glock 33.
-dr

Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 PM

Nice choice of EDC Dave!

I love my M&P. I followed the press written about the .357SIG for a few years before I found a gun I thought could handle the pressures. The M&P was the first gun designed from the conception process to accept that ammo. The breach is heavier and the slide is through hardened stainless steel, not case hardened junk metal.

Most of the guns offered in .357SIG are rechambered from existing 9MM or .40S&W platforms. Of those, the ONLY one I would trust is the glock. They already have a heavy breach and the geometry..., well..., it just makes sense. My problem is that Glocks just don't feel good in my hand. Too extreme on the grip angle. I find a more '1911ish' angle to be best.

In any case, I love my gun (and still carry a .40 Glock 22 at work).

My M&P is full size as the 4 1/4" barrel allows the ballistic performance to reach that of true, full-house, .357 magnums. The numbers for the 4" barrel and obviously anything shorter were just a hair too weak. I LOVE .357 magnum performance--best manstopper in history.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 03-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast

Dave, I've worked in the security industry for a few years and trained with some of the best names in the country (including Jeff Gonzales and Gabe Suarez). I've competed in IDPA and qualified at the instructor level when shooting for my various State #######s.

Having said that, I would never ever recommend someone buy or use a holster like you've linked to. Fobus has a horrible real-world reputation and locking mechanisms like those have been too prone to jam with lint, dirt, gravel, et al., when you needed the pistol most.

For your friend, I would recommend that you buy her a nice gun belt (very attractive but built to support the weight) in a two-tone color so it's reversible. The belt acts as a suspension system making the drawstroke even and firm consistently. This is important stuff, just like the shocks and struts on a high-performance car, you can destroy the handling by going cheap on the details. What good is a Ferrari riding on $80 tires? When it comes to a pistol on the hip, don't skimp on the package.

As for the holster, I'm partial to leather, but kydex has its place. A hybrid of the two is also quite popular. Raven holsters are quite nice. Lou Alessi leather is amazing and cheap, but he's passed on and you'll have to shop to find existing stock. I certainly recommend that you do, though, because he's called "The Gucci of Gunleather" for a very good reason.

Milt Sparks is another good maker.

Check out forums like The High Road and The Firing Line to see what's available. And, just like a knife, look to the custom makers before you buy off the shelf from a "big name" You'll get better service and a better product for the same price, usually.

Tags
knife