MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Steel Addict

Grinder build finished

Here is the grinder that I have been working on, with the exception of paint its finished!!
I would like to thank the people here on this forum that took the time to answer my questions regarding the build.

The pulley arrangement on this grinder probably has some of you wondering, well it ended up that way because not knowing any better I purchased a 3450 RPM motor thinking that I would run a VFD. After the motor arrived I found that a VFD was not affordable on my budget. So to make lemon-aid out of lemons I build a ?jack-shaft? to achieve my desired belt speeds. I was not sure how this would turn out but it is working better than I expected, if I were to do it over again (and still could not afford a VFD) I would not change a thing.

My estimations on the belt speeds are as follows (RPM)
1.75? motor pulley 2.5motor pulley
725 1035
1030 1480
2030 2900
2900 4152
One advantage to this system is I only have to change the pulley on the motor ($3.00) and now have eight speeds. This still is not as convenient as a VFD but it is quick and easy to do (just remove one set screw) and is the next best thing to a newbie on a shoestring budget.

To change the belt speed you just move the red handle toward the aft of the machine and the jackshaft moves 1? closer to the drive shaft giving ample belt slack to move the belt to the desired location and the motor ?lifts? on its hinge, then move the handle to the front position and it ?locks? in place.

Now if you guys can stop laughing at the monstrosity I created, your input both positive and negative as well as ideas for improvement would be much appreciated.
Thanks
10es&
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g1.jpg (116.0 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0203.JPG (135.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0202.JPG (131.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0201.JPG (126.3 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by 10es&; 01-08-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Steel Addict

Hey! Nice Work!
Nothing wrong with a lil monstrosity now and then, even more impressive with all them spinnin parts!
Check EBAY for a VFD if you still want to run one, I got mine for $25 I think. Its DC, but there are a lot of them on there.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Good look'in Grinder. Very nice job.