MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 11-30-2001, 05:47 PM
JossDelage

What stock size do you prefer to buy?

Do you find easier to have a unique size that you forge down for smaller blades? Or do you use different sizes?

Cheers,

JD
Old 11-30-2001, 06:34 PM
Bob Warner

If I am doing stock removal, I try to use the smallest sixe that will do the job. No point in wasting steel.

If I am making damascus, I use 1/8"X1" (or 1 1/4") for the initial layers in the billet. I forge big billets because they retain heat longer and I gan get them BACK up to welding pretty fast. They also don't get deformed when using the press. After the billet is complete I press it out into a bar close to the size of the desired knife and then either forge to shape or finish the knife by stock removal.

Old 11-30-2001, 10:21 PM
Ed Caffrey

Standard size stock?

My list includes the following......

Damascus: 1/8" X 1" 1084, .050 or .080 15N20

5160: 1/4" X 1", 1/4" X 1 1/4", 1/4" X 1 1/2"

52100: 3/4", 1" & 1 1/2" round bar

1084: (for EBKs): 1/8" X 1"

Old 11-30-2001, 10:53 PM
primos

Re: Standard size stock?

My current list:

5160: 1/4" x 1- 1/4" and 1/4" x 1-1/2"

1084: 1/4" x 1", 1/4" x 1-1/4", and 1/4" x 1-3/4"

Ed, I got one of your EBK's in the 1/8" x 1" 1084. Nice little knife. I think I'm going to try some of that size real soon. I'm thinking it might be a little different (spelled t-r-i-c-k-y) forging the 1/8" stock. Am I right?

Old 12-01-2001, 02:01 AM
ScottWiley

Hey Guys
I'm not up to the 1/8" stuff yet. I attempted to make a leather working knife out of some 1/8"x 1" 01 and its a good thing I had 6' of it. I don't go below 3/16" x 1" 1084 right now. Later on when my skills improve I'll try it again.

I use the same types and sizes Ed and Terry use exept for the 52100. I hope to try my hand at it one day.

Scott
Old 12-01-2001, 06:10 AM
Ed Caffrey

Standard size stock?

Terry,
Your right about the 1/8" stuff. To be truthful, there's not really a whole lot of forging a person can do to it. Sometimes even the basic shape can give you fits. For a completely forged to shape/finish blade, 3/16" is about as far as I would go down.
The whole reason for the 1/8" stock on the EBKs is economy, both for me and the customer. I set and figured it up once, and in order to produce the EBKs from 3/16" stock, I would have to charge $175 each, which wasn't what the intent behind those knives. It take a bit more care when making them from 1/8", but it's about the only way I can maintain the "Economical" part of the name!
Old 12-01-2001, 12:39 PM
primos

Re: Standard size stock?

I never asked what the acronym "EBK" stood for. I figured I was the only one who didn't know and didn't want to sound like a dope. But what the heck. What does EBK stand for? Is it Economical "something" Knife?

Old 12-01-2001, 05:26 PM
Ed Caffrey

Standard size stock?

I had several people who said they would like to have one of my knives, but just couldn't afford the average hunters that I produce. One fella said...."I wish you had a more economical, small, day to day carry knife."

From that I goofed around and came up with the EBK, wich stands for.... Economical Belt Knife.

Maybe not the flashiest term, but it made sense to me, and folks seem to like the practcality.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives