MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Steel Addict

Inlay- Tips, tricks, hints, FAQ?

I tried searching for this, but came up empty. Does anyone have links to how to do an inlay?

My sister makes art glass beads by hand, and I am looking to inlay ine into an upcoming knife handle, so I need info on HOW to do such a thing. I know the general theory is "route out the shape in the handle and glue in the object".

Any better info?

Old 06-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Living Legend

The typical approach I've read is to cut the "hole" then fit the inlay to the space. Since you can't do that with a bead without lapidary stuff, you will have to follow your approach. Obviously, creep up on it. You'll have to get very inventive if the hole goes oversize.

If it's a fulltang knife, a real artisan's approach would be to form the handles to finish so they'll come off, then cut the hole from the back so the handle material forms a bezel to hold it in place. Then come back and affix and glue the handles in place. I'm not that good I don't think, so that's just imagination at work.

You might want to ask in the Outpost. Tai Goo has that kind of inventive mind. Shakudo probably has some thoughts, too, since he's a goldsmith.

Last edited by fitzo; 06-30-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Steel Addict

Any suggestions as to the epoxy to use?

Old 06-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Living Legend

Aaron, that is a wide-open topic. You should read the Sando/Mickley threads on adhesives here and at BF as a bit of a primer if you are unfamiliar with them.

Beyond those, I have recently purchased a couple of jewelers' epoxies for evaluation from Rio Grande (bad catalog to get if you ain't got a lot of bucks!! ). Hughes 330 and Opticon have been recommended as two epoxies with excellent clarity and hold characteristics. I am sorry but I have not tried them yet.

For handles themselves, I am going to use K&G "housebrand" for actual handles from now on. Problem is, it's the color of putty.

BTW, if you would: ask your sis where she buys supplies from. I am in the process of setting my wife up for beadwork for her birthday. Torch gets fired up tonite! I'm anxious to try it, too. I bought all of Nanc's stuff from Frantz, but seek recommendations for other sources. Thanks.

Last edited by fitzo; 06-30-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Dan Gray's tutorial---
http://www.knivesby.com/knifemaking-Escutcheon.html

Also do a search here on TKN for inlay, inlays, etc. - Lloyd Hale for one has offered his advice method(s)....and with all due respect to Fitz - the traditional method used by gunmakers, etc. is actually to make your inlay first then fit the cutout to the inlay..

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Steel Addict

I started reading that thread and only got 10 pages into it before I ran out of time! So far I can just tell that what I have been using is the worst one to use

I'll find out where she gets the supplies and post it here

Old 06-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Living Legend

No need to start showing any respect now, Chuck!

My information of inlay comes from what I've read in luthiers' books and about marquetry. The way they read is "cut inlay piece to slightly oversize, cut "well" to intended size, file inlay piece slighty to fit." I could have worded it better. My meager attempt some years back does not qualify as having gained any knowledge.

I thought I started out by saying I didn't know what I was talking about....

Hope all is well with you. Say hi to Linda for us!

Last edited by fitzo; 06-30-2005 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
No need to start showing any respect now, Chuck!
and two posts - you must have really meant it....

Linda says Hi! back

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Mike, I cut a ton of pearl as a luthier, and, for what it's worth (not saying my way was the best way), I always cut the inlay first. Next step was to scribe around it, and cut the mortise. *Then* came the cut-and-fit exercise of either filing the inlay or opening up the mortise.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 06-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Living Legend

I think I was trying to say what you're saying, Don, but after two tries it wasn't coming out right. I remember reading something about, if the mortise is even, file the inlay to fit. But, yes, I agree the inlay would logically be used as the template for the mortise. Cut inside the scribed lines would be appropriate I suppose.

If I had erased my posts, Chuck's would have looked like he was talking to himself.

You have knowledge as opposed to my information from a memory of reading. I've already forgotten me and am trying to remember what you've said. Everyone else should do the same. If there's anyone here hasn't seen fotos of Don's guitar and mandolin (for brother?) and I *think* banjo, you're missing something.

I'm wrong a lot. I wish I could figure it out ahead of time more often...LOL
Old 07-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Skilled

I hope this isn't too far off topic.

Jim Carmichel, an author for outdoor life has written many articles on gunsmithing/carving/inlaying you name it. If you can find one of his books, you will have some true reading pleasure. He makes everything seem so easy. The book I have was written in 1977. It is called Do-it-Yourself Gunsmithing. I can't tell you how many times I have read it. Every now and then, I will pull it off the shelf and spend a week or so reading it. It takes me back in time to my younger days. I spent many an evening trying to do the basketweave carving and the inlaying. Funny how something as simple as a book can envoke such memories. It is not my most treasured book, that spot is given to the bible that my uncle gave me for my 11th birthday, after that though, it is my most treasured book. There is also a couple of chapters on checkering both wood and metal.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Living Legend

Hi, Anthony,

Hope all is well with you! How's them funny looking chickens? Still following you around?

That's an excellent book. Haven't thought about it in a long time. I'll have to dig it out. Thanks!

Have a good one!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the input, Anthony. As a gun-nut, I am familiar with that book. I'll see if I can find a used copy somewhere.

Oh, Fitz- my sister said she gets most of her lampworking equipment from Ebay

Old 07-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Skilled

Hey Fitz,

Yes, I have been doing very well. Class and clinicals keep me busy and I am starting a full time job the middle of this month. I will be juggling a pretty full schedule, but hopefully, I will be up to the task. I still pester Ken on a regular basis and hopefully, he and I will make the Austin show. I still have a funny looking chicken or two, but not near as many as I used to. Hope you and Nancy are doing well.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Steel Addict

Bullsi1911; A few years back I had a copy of a book that detailed how inlays were done on guitar necks, but I just can't seem to find it. Try searching for "How to" books on guitar making. The process should apply to knife inlays as well. Pat McGroder

Tags
knife