MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Skilled

More Chef's Knives - WIP

After my first (Mom's Day) chef's knife, which admittedly was accompanied by much learning, some folks caught wind of it. I now have two more to make. A little nervy, but I feel I can pull this off.

Here's the pair before going into the oven.

These are a little bigger than Mom's, but from the same AEB-L 0.130" stock. Featuring 8" blades and coming in just just under 13" overall. One blade is 2"deep an the other 1-3/4" deep.

Stainless bolsters and golden amboyna burl scales from Don & Karen at Woodstablizer.com are the prescribed handle materials.

One customer would like a "carrying case". If anyone has an ideas on this, whether it be sheath, block, box or what-have-you, kindly let me know.

I'll keep you posted here as they come together.

Dan
Old 06-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Dan,

Very nice over all but I would suggest that you lose the full length bolster - just grind a half inch deep choil at the rear of the blade to shorten the bolster. Full length bolsters - common as they may be on chef's knives - interfere with sharpening. In time, the width of the blade will decrease but the bolster stays where it is. Even if the difference is only 50 thou it prevents the rear of the blade from being able to sit flat on the cutting board.

Jantz and most of the other knife supply places sell zipper cases that are long enough for chef's knives and very affordable ........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the pointer Ray. I was wanting to reduce the overall weight of these and shortening the bolster will assist in that as well.

Regards,

Dan
Old 06-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

If less weight is the goal the consider grinding as indicated in the attached picture. A full flat ground blade doesn't really need plunge cuts at all.

For your next kitchen knife consider using a stub tang design as that removes a large amount of weight from the handle and brings the balance point forward. A stub tang also allows the handle material to be one piece which is not only more hygienic but also displays a beautiful piece of handle material with better effect ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 01-12-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Skilled

Ray,

I've done some adjustments to the two. To help others understand the issue, I made a graphic which shows the problem of having a full depth bolster.

To remedy this, I've adjusted the bolster area to arc down to the blade leaving about 20% available for future sharpening.

Thanks again.

Dan

Tags
blade, blades, block, bolster, bolsters, chef's knife, common, flat, grind, grinding, handle, knife, knife supply, knives, make, material, materials, scales, sharpening, sheath, supply, tang, woods