MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-02-2001, 01:30 AM
AchimW

Friction Folder

Damascus, silver, moose and amber.

Achim
Old 04-02-2001, 04:38 AM
Jerry Stafford

WOW!!That's plum pretty!!
Old 04-02-2001, 06:49 AM
Dana Acker

Outstanding, Achim. Very nice folder. Do you have any type of liner between the blade and the antler?
Old 04-02-2001, 07:13 AM
AchimW

Thanks guys! No, Dana, there's no liner between the blade and antler. It's a really basic friction folder.
Old 04-02-2001, 07:25 AM
MaxTheKnife

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Man, I love that knife Achim! The double Ram's horn is excellent. The handle and blade shape are excellent. I hate to seem like a pic monger, but I sure would like to see that knife in its closed position. How did you set the amber in the pommel? And the cuttout for the arrowhead, that looks tricky. I sure do thank you for sharing those pics Achim. That is one beautiful little folder. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2001, 07:40 AM
Kevin Isler

Very, very classy! I love it!
Old 04-02-2001, 04:30 PM
Dave Larsen

Achim, that knife just makes me want to sing out loud! Oh, man, that is beautiful and so finely finished. This is a real class act. Man!

Dave
Old 04-02-2001, 05:55 PM
genechapman

Super folder, Achim, like the way the tang kinda scrolls over the handle.
Old 04-02-2001, 06:57 PM
peter nap

I think it looks stupid...(mostly because I still haven't made a good damascus blade) Other than that....BEAUTIFUL!
Old 04-02-2001, 09:21 PM
gthomas

Awesome Achim! As usual you've created a little masterpiece! (You've whetted my appetite to make damascus even more, this weekend I will give it a shot I hope!)

Guy Thomas
Old 04-03-2001, 12:14 AM
AchimW

Thanks, brothers!
First for Max, here's the only pic i've got in a closed position. Sorry, it's only a view from the blade back:

The amber stone was ground to shape and polished. Then i carved a depression into the antler which fits the stone as exact as possible with hand tools (chisels) and which was deep enough to take half of the heigth of the stone. It was a press fit and the stone was pressed and glued into it.

Guy, that's all i could hope to do with posting the pictures. Fire the imagination of some of you to do some damascus or folders, too.

Achim
Old 04-03-2001, 02:15 PM
Dana Acker

Too cool for page two just yet.
Old 04-03-2001, 03:57 PM
Jones Knives

COOL!!!

I really like the ram's horn shaped blade stop. That adds a nice touch.

Is that real Amber?
Old 04-03-2001, 05:20 PM
Roger Gregory

Now I really could do without seeing pictures like that while I have one of my own knives here!

I think that is one of the nicest friction folders I have ever seen...along with Dana's, Marian Lively's and of course Gene Chapman's.

Like everyone else I just love the ram's horn blade stops.

How did you cut the shape out for the silver inserts?

Roger
Old 04-04-2001, 12:38 AM
AchimW

Sure that's real amber. It's a pretty cheap material if you only want small pieces. Since the iron curtain doesn't exist anymore, the people from the baltic countries sell whatever they can get past the frontiers.

For the arrowheads i just took some 1 mm thick silver (935) sheet metal, cut off two small pieces, drilled them and filed to shape. Surface and edges were hammer finished with a small, polished ball peen hammer.

Achim

Tags
blade, knife, knives