MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:45 PM

Did I burn my knife?

Hello everybody,

I figure I've been lurking here long enough and have decided to finally sign up and try my hand at making a knife.

I'm completely new to knife making. Today was my first go at it. I've practiced forming and shaping on wood and messed around with some low grade steel, but today was my first real attempt.

I was working on a piece of O1 tool steel and burned it while grinding. The scorch marks get pretty close to the blade. Is the knife ruined or can I somehow fix it?

Also, are there any particular lubricants or coolants that I should be applying as I grind?

Any help is appreciated. I'll post a picture of the damage as soon as I figure out how
Thanks for reading
Old 09-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Skilled

If it's before heat treat then your fine. Post heat treat is where you need to be careful. Keep sharp belts, and don't hog the material off. Keep a bucket of water to cool the blade. Post heat treat don't let any color come into the steel.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:18 PM

Oh that makes perfect sense. Luckily, it's pre heat treat. I definitely tried to bite off too much metal at once. Lesson learned......I'm certain I'll have many more lessons to learn as I go.
Thanks for the info
Old 09-24-2015, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

What you saw was temper colors from the heat of the belt. Burning steel is bright yellow with large sparks jumping off of it as you pull it out of the forge. Ed
Old 10-31-2015, 08:51 AM

I find when I rough grind I get tempering colors on the tip of the blade but this has never caused an issue on the finished blade.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Steel Addict

The color isn't an issue other than your tender fingers.As JM said sharp belts are your friend. Start with a course belt no more than a 60 grit and for a lot of rough grinding use a 36 grit. Progress through the grits 35 , 60, 120, 220 and then off to heat treating. You will use more water when you first start grinding and less as you get better. It's all about practice😃, lots of practice! You can help the learning curve by finding a knife maker close to you and bribing them with coffee and dough nuts to give you a few pointers.

Erik
Old 11-01-2015, 05:06 AM

Welcome aboard Lance. Fill out your profile, you may be very close to another knifemaker and don't know it.
It's an addiction for sure, fought it for nearly 40 years and finally gave into it for the last 20.....there was no hope I'd ever quit.

Just curious and always have to ask - Why O1 to start with? Several good beginner steels that are much easier to work and learn.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
art, bee, beginner, belt, belts, blade, forge, grind, grinding, hand, heat, heat treat, knife, knife making, knifemaker, making, material, metal, post, profile, sharp, steel, temper, wood