MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:45 PM

Scale saw

Looking for recommendations on a saw that will allow me make scales out of 1" x 6" x 24 " pieces of hardwood. Reasonable price solutions?
Old 02-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I have one of the 14" Grizzly saws. It always did the job for me. On the other hand, you can buy an awful lot of scales for the price of a saw ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-02-2017, 05:27 PM
Hall of Famer

I have a 14" Jet band saw to re-saw my blocks and turning sticks with. Of course if you're brave of heart and steady with your hands there are hand saws that you can use.

Doug

Old 02-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Guru

Smile Try a Ryobi 9" bandsaw.

I bought an inexpensive Ryobi 9" band saw that comes with a 60" blade and the set it up and tweaked according to this video. It cuts pretty straight after proper setup. Also you can scribe a line and follow that, but my saw at least cuts straight when I set up a fence guide. Buy the same widths as you need to adjust to different width blades, but the 1/8" wide blades are for scroll cutting and straight cuts shouldn't be a problem with them, just need to adjust the rollers up a bit, but usually don't as I'm just cutting the contour of the blade handle by hand anyway. It is switching between 1/4 and 3/8 that needs real tight adjustments, so I just use 3/8" wide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

For hardwood I recommend 4 tpi to 6 tpi. 3/8" wide for long straight cuts. You can buy the blades where they sell the Ryobi, Home Depot carries them, Bosch blades usually. I also buy flexback blades from Pro Bandsaw works online, they make the blade custom just for you. 14 tpi by 3/8" if you want to cut brass or aluminum, just smear a little cutting fluid on top of the material with your finger, do not use oil on the blade as it will make a mess and possibly cause the blade to slip on the wheels.
http://www.probandsawworks.com/index...ck-blades.html

They sell by the foot. By the way do not try a bimetal blade on steel with a wood cutting bandsaw as they move too fast and do not have the power. Pro Saws sell by the foot and my blades cost about $9. The metal cutting blades are considerably more per foot, but they do make custom sizes.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:08 AM

I just use my vise mounted portaband (see thread below). Get more precise, straight cuts than with my big Craftsman wood band saw.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-03-2017, 06:31 AM

I have a wall mounted portaband but I need to rig something that will allow me to cut straight for about 5/6"
Old 02-03-2017, 06:41 AM

Just clamp a small piece of angle to your saw table for a guide fence. Measure and square up then run a test piece of scrap material first to make sure you have it right. Just remember, let the dog eat, don't force just feed.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-03-2017, 09:18 AM

Great idea!! Thanks
Old 02-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Guru

I see some folks talk about not being able to cut straight with their bandsaws. A 9" Ryobi wood bandsaw is only about $100 dollars and it cut crooked and wandered when I first got it even with a guide fence. I watched that video I linked above and it cuts straight now, and even with the miter gage it cuts a 90 degree cut right on the money, no wandering. Make certain you do not bend the teeth on your blades and really watch that video for the resaw part. You don't even need to watch the second part if you're not into scroll sawing with a bandsaw. I have a scroll saw so I do not set up my bandsaw to do it. For handle scales the Ryobi is just about perfect.

Just keep in mind that some exotic hardwoods wear out blades rather quickly like desert ironwood or African Blackwood as they have silicates in them.

Tags
band saw, blade, blades, brass, buy, craftsman, custom, hand, handle, home, ironwood, knife, make, material, problem, recommendations, scale, scales, sell, solutions, steel, video, vise, wheels, wood