MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:24 PM

Short handled knives. Pro and cons?

So I am in the process of making a Heat treat testing knife just to make sure I am doing everything correct. I ended up making the handle short on this knife simply cause I wanted to (not sure why), but I was wondering if there would be any problems that you guys have run into using a shorter handle. Its just something that has been on my mind...

3" handle with a 8" blade.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...42405588_n.jpg

Last edited by Knifemaker96; 05-21-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 PM

Truthfully its not "super short" just shorter then what I am used to with this blade length
Old 05-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Enthusiast

I would think the balance of it would be a bit off. But I am in the process of making my first knife so I don't have any other knowledge about it. Just seems like it would be front heavy.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:57 AM
Skilled

I personally like a handle on a 'big' knife to be 5" or more... as the blade gets shorter, I tend to shorten the handle too, but anything less than 4" turns into a 3 finger grip, which is ok I guess for some styles of knife, but not ideal, especially for a chopper. It is not so much a matter of balance as it is a matter of control, IMO. You can get more leverage and control with a longer handle. Try using it in the kitchen for a few days and I bet you'll see the value of a longer handle.

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:32 AM
Hall of Famer

I think that a longer handle would keep the fingers from wandering up onto the edge of the blade too unless you put a finger notch behind the blade that the index finger will sit securely in.

Doug

Old 05-22-2014, 06:29 AM

Make it - work it - work it some more - your hand will tell you why short handles rarely work well on larger blades.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 05-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Steel Addict

The only benifit of a handle that short is being compact and easy to carry. You have pretty much eliminated that with your blade length. I think you're going to find it doesn't feel secure in your hand. I have tried designing compact handles for edc knives, but I have trouble coming up with an effective design with a handle under 4". It can work but it really takes some smart design work. A big blade usually needs a big handle though. Also consider that a small hand can use a long handle better than a large hand can use a short one.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:13 PM

Yeah that makes sense. It does feel a little loose when holding it. Good thing is that this knife wasn't really made for heavy use or any at all. I am just using it to test my HT. so if it survives then I will shorten the blade some. I do like the blades design so my next knife will be similar, but with a longer handle. I will do some playing around with it.
Thanks for the input
Old 05-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Steel Addict

Hey knifemaker,
maybe you could grind the handle a little and make a hidden tang? Just my .02

Tags
bee, blade, blades, design, easy, edc, edge, fixed blade, grip, hand, handle, handles, heat, heat treat, hidden, kitchen, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, make, making, notch, tang