MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:03 PM
Registered

Cool Correct Size Corby Bolt

Hi All

I just received a TBS Bushmaster Boar knife blade that I need to put a handle on. The tang has three holes that measure 6.05mm (0.238 or 15/64 in). That is 12 thousands under 1/4". In two of the holes I would like to put Corby bolts, and a lanyard pin in the 3rd hole.

But, I'll be ####ed if I can find the correct size bolt little lone the lanyard pin.

Most Corby bolts I find are to big, having a 1/4" shaft. I find some smaller but they seem too small like 3/16" WTF!

The question is two fold really, First, is there a supplier that has what I need? and second, how small is too small? I would guess that I should only have about 3 thou "slop" in my pins.

Any help would be great!

Cheers
Bill

Last edited by Willyd57; 09-21-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Guru

Willyd; You might try a 1/4 loveless screw, the bolt section will be smaller than 1/4, by how much I don''t know as I use 1/8 and 3/16 loveless screws.
I don't know why you can't use a 3/16? I always use small screws, the epoxy or acraglass will fill in the slop. I've never had a failure. You can also use 3/16 tubing as well, I had some stainless I made mosaic pins from.

You can call Jephco Supply and tell them your problem as basically you have a 6mm clearance hole. Jephco makes their own screws, no made in China hardware. They're the only place I can get 1/8" loveless screws from. There is a possibility that on their 3/8 loveless bolt the bolt might be smaller than .238. Also check out their corby's as the shaft is smaller than the ends.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:30 PM
Master

An alternate possibility would be to wrap some sand paper around a small file and open the hole up to get the bolt to clear. Diamond files are also useful in this regard. A set of budget import diamond files was like $5 file. The diamond doesn't last long on those budget ones but enough to do the job a few times to make them worthwhile.

Sometimes after a heat treat I've wanted to do other handle options, picked up some carbide drills for the fasteners I use. From $20-$40/bit and they are savers when that realization of "Oh Sheep!" hits.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:02 PM
Registered

Thanks guys for the advice it was great help. Having had a day to think about things, I believe I will go with 3/16th Corby bolts and lanyard tubing then be done with.

Thank again for the help.

Bill
Old 09-23-2018, 02:21 AM
Guru

I would just drill the holes in the tang up to 1/4

Tags
a, advice, blade, ca, diamond, epoxy, files, handle, hardware, heat treat, knife, knife blade, lanyard, loveless, made, mosaic, pins, problem, question, sand, screw, screws, stainless, supply, tang