MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:59 PM
Enthusiast

Hidden tang, handle block size?

I have been fortunate enough to have access to some amazing handle material, and in the beginning I simply reduces all of my accumulated stock into handle scales and went from there. I have recently began being interested in hidden tang knives, for several reason, not the least of which is the ability to show off more of the piece of wood. For the life of me I can not get pictures to load here, or I would share a few pictures, but that's another topic all together.
My question is, given the option, what size block would be the best to start with? With the last knife I did I learned quickly that starting with an oversized template is a blessing, in that I quickly reduced to the handle to smaller proportions than I had hoped. Is there a good starting place as far as block size? Or is it project dependent like the many other aspects of the hobby?Thanks
Old 04-25-2018, 08:17 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

The standard sized block sold by all the knife supply places is good for almost any knife. Those blocks usually measure about 1.25" square and 5" long. I mount that block on my tang and after I see how it sits I draw the handle I want on the block. Remove the block from the tang and cut off the extra material leaving a good bit of over size. Glue up the handle and after the glue sets do the final shaping ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-25-2018, 08:44 AM
Guru

it all depends on the size of the knife the average size block i have is about 5x1.5x1.25 but some are bigger and some smaller....start with more than you need is the best option
Old 04-29-2018, 11:29 AM
Registered

I made a couple: one is 1" x 9" and the other is 3" x 9". The length was due to the length of the leather I had. The width was to accommodate the variety of knifes. I have a 5" handle on both of them. The handle is inconvenient for placement in tool boxes as it puts the overall length at 14+ inches but I use it at home more than on the road and it keeps my fingers out of the way and gives me control while stropping.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________
The greatest achievement of the human spirit is to live up to one`s opportunities and make the most of one`s resources.
Cheers

Last edited by xa6s7y; 02-22-2019 at 02:51 AM.

Tags
a, art, bee, beginning, block, fixed blade, handle, handle material, handle scales, hidden, hidden tang, hobby, knife, knives, leather, material, mount, project, question, scales, show, supply, tang, template, wood