MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:57 AM

smooth transition from metal to wood

I find perfect transitions from metal to wood in curved situations very difficult. I don't want to see or feel them. Surface polishing and sanding are in these areas is also fraught with danger. Is there a solution other than further application of stubborn determination? Thank You
Old 08-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Guru

I think if you had a more specific situation or even pics of something you would get better answers. There are different ways to get around different things
Old 08-25-2017, 12:14 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Metal and wood have very different hardnesses, obviously. Usually, any attempt at blending these materials using power tools will end up removing more wood than metal. Some of that can be cured with lots of practice. In the end though, you can get close with power tools but you have to finish by hand. Even then you have to develop techniques that will help. I like to use sandpaper wrapped around a hard rubber eraser and then use the metal parts a a base while I sand the adjoining wood.

Polishing is another matter. All new knife makers want to polish the bejeezus out of their knives and that just makes issues like the one you have even worse because polishing will erode the wood much faster than the metal. So, not polishing the metal is one solution to the problem.

Another aid is to use professionally stabilized wood because it polishes extremely easily. Less time polishing means less erosion of the wood. If you don't use stabilized wood then at some future point the wood you did use will either shrink or expand and ruin that perfect joint anyway.

As Dtec points out, the answer to your question depends on some variables. My suggestions are intended to reduce the number of variables....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-25-2017, 03:20 PM

Thanks. Just didn't wont to find there was an ingenious solution I was the only one unaware of.

Tags
base, finish, hand, help., knife, knives, makers, materials, metal, problem, question, sanding, surface, tools, wood