MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 02-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Steel Addict

KnifeNetwork vs. Bladeforums

How would you rate one place versus the other?
What features and benefits of the each place do you like?
How do you compare them in general or specifically?

I like Bladeforums because it has many more members and their community forum is more active. On the other side of the same coin, I like KnifeNet because on the whole I read more intelligent posts and more thoughtful replies here - which may or may not be because there are fewer members. I'm not sure, but there is definitely a different beat to each place.

I like the KnifeNet exclusives like the Photo Contests and that this is the electronic home of the NTMs. I also really appreciate the Heat Treating and Metallugry Forum.

I also like the intuitive design and layout of KnifeNet over that of Bladeforums. The Forum Index page here makes me feel like I have an overview of what's going on. Actually, it gives me the feeling of an overhead view like a map does.

Two things I don't like about KnifeNet: Many forums simply go inactive for weeks at a time and I don't see enough stuff in the classified listings.

Two lesser, but still important, things I like about KnifeNet are the compelte absence of two nasty types: The Self-Appointed Expert and the make-believe-special-forces-operative.

Last edited by Sam Wereb; 02-13-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

When I saw your initial questions pop up on the preview, I was almost offended that you would ask such a question. Then I read the rest of your piece. Interesting observations. We certainly have had some of the "nasty types" crop up from time to time, but there are so many real experts on this forum that the fakes run off like roaches when the lights go on.

I suspect that most on this forum look at other forums or belong to those where they share interest. It's like a conversation with one group of friends versus another. They have their strong and weak points. Some of the guys here have an amazing sense of humor. Some are good at discussing points of view - as debate and not as mud-slinging. Some bring radically diverse ideas - from art to science. But what is probably the best thing about this forum is that the best and brightest are so willing to share their talents with the rest of us. Like some old-time craftsmen passing their knowledge along. And nearly all of those who hang out here are the type of folks that desire to improve and expand. That includes "newbies" and experts alike.

It's a fun place to hang out.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:58 PM

While I find myself spending more time over in the Blade Forums than I did a couple of years ago, I still prefer my time here. There is clearly a different attitude...I might say more serious, but that might imply that there's no humor to found here and that's definitely not the case.

In general I think that most folks have a sense that these forums are intended for those who are more seriously interested in the craft of knifemaking, and not as much for casual observers or for guys who "just" out and out dig knives. Don't get me wrong...I certainly did not mean that in any derogatory way ...its just that those types are not found over here anywhere near to the same extent as they are in the Blade forums.

I guess said in a more concise way, the general "take" is that the Blade Forums seem like they're designed for guys who dig knives, and these forums are more for guys who make knives. Inherently, that's gonna mean that we're drawing from a smaller universe. But it's a great universe indeed,...with an extraordinary amount of knowledge at its disposal, and a wonderful degree of comraderie. I should add that probably 95% of what I know about custom knifemaking was learned here in these forums.

Maybe it's because I was "weaned" in the CKDF/KnifeNetwork...but I just don't feel the same way when I visit the Blade Forums. I do not exagerate when I say that my joining these forums several years ago, was truly life-altering for me...and I will be forever grateful for the time I've been spent here. These forums have given me far more than I could ever give in return...I consider my being a "regular" here to be quite a privilege.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 02-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Guru

This is HOME.

BF is a great place to vist but I always enjoy coming home.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 02-15-2005, 07:38 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
I like ALL of the knife related forums and have friends on all. However, I always feel like I am a guest in someone elses home on all except the Knifenetwork. Here I feel like family----Sandy---

Old 02-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Hall of Famer

I have found good people at each one.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 02-16-2005, 03:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
KnifeNetwork would kick Bladeforum's a$$.

They've got numbers but we got Craft.

jloose.com

Old 02-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Hall of Famer

i can't guess

how many forums tolerate me as a member, but this is the only one in which i participate with any regularity (albeit infrequently of late). i had been surfing for knives-for-sale information when i stumbled on ckd years ago and bought one from terry hearn. kept coming back 'til i ran out of money and decided to try making one. got hooked on the how-to info available in the forums and am still here.
i find other forums largely a reiteration of each other with an emphasis on production and semi-production knives. many of them maintain a large number members because they never delete anyone - even the one shot troll! one thing i have always liked about ckd/knf is that newbies tend to take advice (like pls use the search button) and learn to do their homework. i have seen the same question in 3 different threads on the same page elsewhere.
my 2c
hooray for alex, et.al.
wayne

Old 02-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Registered

care for a newbie/outsider opinion?

i just came over from another forum. i'm a member of a few, BF, Badlands (i'll behave), and the USN. all have their niche, and all cater to different crowds.

BF seems to be a catch-all, every man for himself type of place. i lurk there occasionally, and i'm not sure my membership is still active (probably is ). it just seems to me to be a "mall" for knives. pretty impersonal, but they do occasionally have something worth going there for, if you're willing to brave the crowds. a lot of good info, but you have to weed through a bunch of crap and fluff to find it.

in the short time i've been here, it seems more like a small community of friends that share common interests and bonds. more good info, and way less stuff you really don't need or want to know. the discussions seem much more focused, and on target.

i'll probably stick around here for a bit, and lurk. this is a new side of the knife industry that i'm not familiar with. nice collectible customs is not something that has held much appeal for me in the past. i'm really more of a buy it and use it kinda guy, but i can appreciate dedicated people and excellent craftmanship, both of which i see here.

i hope to learn a lot, and maybe occasionally contribute something.

chris
Old 02-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Skilled

Be very careful Chris. Once bitten by the custom bug - the "buy use it" montra starts to become "buy it, hang it". Most Japanese swords fall into that category. It's respectable ... and expensive.

Nothing wrong with using knives. Nothing wrong with buying art.

STeve

Old 03-01-2005, 07:59 AM
Registered

I've been a member of most of the knifeforums for many years. This community looks like a serious and relatively calm place to enjoy and share discussion and thoughts. Bladeforums is filled with many people who are not collectors of knives on a serious level or truly have an appreciation for higher end custom knives.

That is why I personally found a home over at USN. This site looks very well done, and with the exception of recent posts by Ricasso, I feel that this forum serves a very wonderful community on the internet.

Respects, Guro Jeff
Old 03-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Registered

Well I'm new here, came over from BladeForums, personally I like both places. The more knife talk the better, the more information the better. I love both places, mmm knives!

-Matt
Old 03-19-2005, 11:37 AM

I too am a memeber of both, but honestly, Knife network members are much more knowledgable and kinder. I do lurk at both though
Old 03-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Steel Addict

Because i find that theres some really great and helpful peoples here, i prefer knifenetwork. Theres so much flaming @ BF and i hate when threads get out of hands like it happens quite a bit at BF.
Basically i prefer this forum because you get closer to peoples when theres less members than you do with forums with several thousand members. Just my 2 norwegian kroners worth

Old 03-19-2005, 12:24 PM

I like them both. With any larger crowd you will get a proportionate amount of wackos. (Even in here!! )

I would have preferred the subject title of this be 'Knife Network compared to Bladeforums'. The vs. sounds very challenging. Fortunately everyone read and saw the true intention.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Tags
a, awesome, back, bee, black, blade, brand, ca, cutlery, first post, forge, knife, knife making, knifemaking, knives, machete, make, makers, problem, question, shop, show, tips, tools