MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:19 AM
Steel Addict

Bend titanium plate - Can it be bent back?

As the title says. I ordered a 0.08" TI plate that was bend when i received it.
Do you think its possible to bend it back to flat somehow?

I'm a bit sceptical since TI should be springy without any HT..
Old 10-25-2017, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Yes, it can be bent/straightened. It can be a time consuming, tedious task, but unless it's creased, it's doable.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-25-2017, 07:55 AM
Guru

if it was bent once no reason it cant be bent again...if it was me I would try to send it back and get a new one. also what are you using it for? if it is something like liners for a folder I would bend the whole sheet back as accurately as possible then cut the part and bend the part. I think it would be easier to deal with in single parts than the whole sheet...but again if you can send it back
Old 10-25-2017, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Something that many don't know, is to ask the question of the seller..... are there any warps or bends? Be very pointed and specific, because most sellers don't understand how big of a pain even a slight warp can be for knifemakers. The majority of Ti sold as "mill run" will have warps or bows in it..... generally this material is sold for less then "dead straight" Ti. So, if you run across the same size Ti from different sellers, and notice a discrepancy in the pricing of one to the other, it's likely the seller of the higher priced one took the time/effort to ensure what's being sold is "dead straight". Obviously that's not always the case, but that's why it's so important for knifemakers to develop a relationship with their suppliers, become a "friend" rather then just a "customer". Personally, I have only one source for Ti that I use. All the others have left me wanting in one way or another.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Guru

I get all my titanium fro alpha knife suppy and only "KNIFEMAKER GRADE"....never had any warps or anything like that and they are good people obver there they would get you a new one if your not happy..they always made good with me even when it was MY fault and ordered the wrong thing

Tags
back, case, flat, folder, knife, knifemaker, made, material, mill, question, titanium