MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 AM
Skilled

Early 40's fighter in Randall Museum

Since going to blade and seeing a very early fighter in person,

the ones Pre RWB spacers, I have been looking at them closely.
I found one in Hunts book Randall Knives Rare, Unique and Experimental page 14.

Question about the knife in Hunts book page 14,

Does anyone know if this knife in the museum is :
1) accompanied with a sheath?
2) Has the knife been refurbished/cleaned?

This is an extraordinary knife in it's condition, and would love to see it's sheath.

Regards, Sam

Last edited by samg; 07-12-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:21 PM
Skilled

I posted this thread a month ago, with no responses.
Scott, do you know if this knife is still in the Museum? Is it in original condition or refurbished? Does it have it's sheath?

Thanks, Sam
Old 07-13-2017, 06:13 PM
Steel Addict

ALL the knives from the old museum were moved over to the new one and others added...so I would assume it would be there...where it is, is a question that someone with a whole lot of time to spend there was have to answer...if the sheath was with the knife before, it is there now...also, oh yes, it apparently has been refinished...
Old 07-13-2017, 07:08 PM
Skilled

Thanks Scott for your answer. I'm not sure why you state that it has "apparently been refinished" Bob Hunt stated that this knife in the museum is unused. If unused, displayed in the museum out of the sheath, why would it need to be refinished? Are you basing your opinion on the fact that it looks new, or did you oversee the knives being moved to the new museum and have knowledge of this knife being refinished?
I just think it's extrordinary that this knife is in such pristine shape.
By the way, you are right, someone needs a lot of time to go through the museum. I just didn't have time to thoroughly go through it before. You guys did a fine job on the Museum too.
Thanks again Scott.
Sam

Last edited by samg; 07-13-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:26 PM
Steel Addict

Solely on the looks alone, Jason Randall handled the project of moving and refininising any knives that needed a touch...
Old 07-14-2017, 12:00 PM
Skilled

Rather than start a new line about WWII combat blades, I thought I'd cut and paste this one from the line about General Hal Moore.

I contacted General Hal Moore's son, Steve Moore, and explained my Vietnam service and the Randall-collecting community. He then forwarded some amazing pictures and the story of this knife. This does not appear to be the same knife pictured with then-LTC Moore and his DSC in Vietnam. Never-the-less, in my opinion this documented knife makes it one of the more unique Randalls from the early era. The pictures of Col. Compton's knife appear to be a mid/late WWII (? - need help here - Ron?) with double pinned stag handle. Here are the pictures.

Steve Moore wrote: "The knife actually belonged to my grandfather, Col. Compton - Dad?s father in law, as you can see from the name inscribed on the blade."

"In WWII, [Col. L. J. Compton] was with the Artillery Section of the 15th Army and was actually the commander of the Army during its deployment from the US (11/3/44 ? 1/2/45). He did receive a Bronze Star for his actions when his troop ship was torpedoed in the English Channel. After the war, he was on the military tribunals in Germany ? we have a picture of him and other members in LOOK (or maybe LIFE) magazine. No reason to believe he did not carry the knife in Germany."

Note: from Wikipedia, re: 15th US Army: "On 25 December 1944 the main body left Doddington Hall for a staging area in Southampton, England and boarded the British landing ship Empire Javelin the next afternoon. The Fifteenth Army headquarters consisted of 208 officers and 624 enlisted men. An additional 652 men plus the British crew were on board. Crossing the English Channel a few days later, on 28 December 1944, an explosion rocked the ship, possibly from a mine. A French frigate, L'Escarmouche, and some smaller vessels came to the rescue. L'Escarmouche was attached to the side of the Empire Javelin and many of the men jumped from the deck of the Empire Javelin to L'Escarmouche. Some men were rescued from life rafts and one life boat and some were pulled out of the water. About 10 minutes after a second explosion, the Empire Javelin sank at about 5:25 pm. Thirteen men were missing in action and 20 men were injured in this incident."

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-01-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Skilled

Incredible one of a kind knife!
Old 07-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Skilled

Great story and knife Jack. Judging the high keeper on the Moore sheath and curved grind line that goes back to the hilt (no ricasso) puts this knife IMO 1943.

Sam
Old 07-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Skilled

Interesting shape of the blade too, the top clip appears to have a bit of a slope on the end. Perhaps the tip was broken off and blade reshaped?
Sam
Old 10-19-2023, 12:03 PM
Registered

Randall Knives

This was one of the Best Postings ever to The Knife Network. Outstanding presentation on some of the rarest of rare Randall Knives and the Museum Transition. oldschcollector
Old 10-19-2023, 12:06 PM
Registered

Randall Books and Related Knife References Personal Library

https://www.facebook.com/reel/329876042770059

Tags
2017, art, bee, blade, blades, book, comma, deployment, fighter, germany, handle, knife, knives, military, project, question, randall, rare, sheath, spacers, stag, stag handle, wwii