MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 07-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknola View Post
Six years of RMK research destroyed, and 10 years of rug posts... The people who should be the most angry are site owners who have a lot of posts and traffic to read those posts, historical or present.

And, what if you paid the $400 this year. Is it going to be $1,000 next year? $10,000 the following year? If they want to charge for future photos, fine. But it is a scam to suddenly encrypt 15 years worth of photos. We all can save photos on our computers. The main purpose of a hosting site is 3rd party posts in forums.

The funny thing is, if they wanted to charge $10 or even 420, I might consider it. But this is close to criminal...Screw these guys...
I am surprised it has not made the news. Millions of people have pics on Photobucket .

If they had charged something much more reasonable i think it would be less of a shock . But to cough up $400 from one day to the next ?

You watch , this is the thing of the future . I suspect when FB and IG start charging it will be much , much , more reasonable .
Old 07-01-2017, 03:45 PM

My sympathy to you too, Jack and all Photobucket users who have lost all their images.

This really is a disgusting and sad turn of events.

All of your hard work down the drain. The loss to forum readers is also incalculable.

Many, many online forums of all types and subject matter have been adversely affected by this thoughtless decision. It's actually a very cruel trick!

I hope pressure will be brought to bear on the company and they will change their mind and re-instate these photos.

It's a real shame!

David

P.S. Nothing to smile about regarding this act of greed.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Skilled

Actually David, the photos aren't lost to us the owners of them, they are still in our Photobucket gallery. I've downloaded all mine back to the phone, but they are still in the bucket too. It's just arduous to repost them to all the sites and threads.
Why can't we download them from our computer/phone gallery straight to the forum?
It's just beyond a shame that this is going on. Perhaps there will be a heavy backlash. The price is too much. If it would have been $40-50 I might have considered it....
We will see what happens.
Sam
Old 07-01-2017, 05:27 PM

Hi Sam!

My bad!

I didn't mean that the photos are lost to the Photobucket members, I meant that they're lost to us, the third party viewers.

It's too bad I can't post here what I really think of the company...

The name reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLXZySHt54

Cheer!

David

Old 07-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Steel Addict

2017Knife by Mark Huston, on Flickr

BBCode
Testing a picture from Flickr. This isn't my knife, but it is the club knife for 2017 for the Montana Knifemakers Association.

Last edited by mwhuston; 07-01-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Skilled

So what is the consensus about what site we should use? What are the options?
Old 07-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Skilled

Jack, I'm reluctant to use any of them right now. If it can be Photobucket it can be any of them, right? I have been using directupload.net with some success.
Is there no way to upload from our computers directly to the forum, then the threads? David? Alex?
Thanks, Sam
Old 07-04-2017, 08:08 AM

Jack,

Both His Moosiness and I use Fototime. In my case since 2006. The annual cost is minimal ($23.95 for 8 GB) and I've never had any downtime or problems.

Best,
Old 07-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Is there no way to upload from our computers directly to the forum, then the threads?
Sam asked.

Hi Sam!

I'm afraid the answer to your question is yes. The is no easy way to reinsert your photos (currently being held hostage by Photobucket).

Quote:
So what is the consensus about what site we should use?
wonders Jack.

Hi Jack, Ron is right, and I concur (as I mentioned above), Fototime is very good and reasonably priced.

Unfortunately, it will take a lot of time to reinsert so many images.

Since there are probably ten of thousands of Photobucket users stuck in limbo, perhaps a decent lawyer amongst them could entertain the idea of launching a class action suit. Maybe the threat of legal action could force the company to reconsider... Just a thought...

David

Old 07-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Guru

I have many photos on Flickr as does my fellow knifemaker Damon. I hope they don't go this route.

Tags
2017, a, back, bee, case, easy, fighter, file, gallery, hammer, knife, knifemaker, made, need help, photo, post, question, reference, screw, small