MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Steel Addict

no rivet strap

I could not search as I could not think of what to call this.
I want to make a sheath with a thin piece if leather or cord going over the knife guard and on to the sheath to secure the knife in the sheath, not such a rare thing. How do I make one wthout useing a rivet snap to secure the strap? I know it is out there I just can not find any examples. Please help my simple brain figure this out.

Cheers Ron.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:28 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Ron, try a Sam Browne stud. They work well. ---Sandy---

Old 09-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Skilled

Leather Factory/Tandy has an on line catalog www.tandyleatherfactory.com. The Sam browne "Button/Washer" as they call it is stock number 1309-01 in brass and 1309-02 in nickel over brass. You will also need the stud anvil, stock number 8112-00 to set the hardware. You will have a picture on the web site to be sure this is what you want. Do your search in the catalog at the upper left of the first page using the word "sam browne" and it will picture all three of the items I mentioned.

Paul

PS Good morning, Sandy!!!!!

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net

Last edited by sheathmaker; 09-27-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Guru

Ron, here's a pic of a Sam Brown stud on a sheath.Hello Sandy and Paul. Dave

Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Steel Addict

Great, Thanks for taking the time to help me. I went to the local Tandy whearehouse and with the # it was easy to find. Also picked up some vegie taned cut offs for $3.00 a pound, scraps but big enough to make sheaths from. It looked a little big, but seeing the photo with it on the sheath it is exactly what I wanted. Thanks again for the help, by the way that is a real first class sheath. Mine will not look like that But I will post a photo when I get it done.
Cheers Ron.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the greetings Paul and Dave---and the more detailed response to Mungo. I leave in the morning for Knoxville nd Bowie's hammer in. Will fill you in when I return! ---Sandy---

Old 09-27-2006, 11:13 PM

Perfect example Dave

Have a great trip Sandy; maybe have some pics when you return ?

Mike

Old 10-01-2006, 03:38 PM

Mike, my friend---I have just returned from Knoxville and Bowie's hammer in! I had a WONDERFUL time and can now put faces to a lot of names. Ron Claibourne (Bowie) is a real class act and put on a wonderful event. I made about five sheaths (except tor the stitching) in mini-tutorials and feel that I was very graciously accepted by all that attended. I will not attempt to name the people that have befriended me as I would be embarrassed to have left anyone out. Let it be said that I met a LOT of people and I would like to consider them all as new friends. The talent that put on the demos was as good as it gets, the results were outstanding! I probably should have stayed for the Sunday activities but elected to take this ancient body back to a more familiar bed. I can not imagine a more tranquil setting for the gathering and --God willing-- I will return in the coming years! I was so busy that I actually FORGOT to record the festivities on film but a lot of film (tape and photos) was taken so I am sure it will make the forums. This has been a red letter weekend for me and I look forward to the opportunity to re-live same!!!

Old 10-01-2006, 06:09 PM

Sandy, I'm sure that somewhere right now, there are a couple of knifemakers sharing the memory of watching you create art from cowhide
Too often I find myself returned home from a memorable trip, and like you, find that I missed opportunities to add to my photo recoerds. In fact, Marie does most of our picture taking, although I think that will change now that I've (finally !) gone digital I can only hope you're right, and that some of the other attendees will share their pics with us.
Glad you had a good time, and arrived back at Chez Morrissey safely !

Mike

Tags
knife