MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Steel Addict

just finished

Just finished this one up this afternoon. Made to a clients design.
9" OAL 5" Blade 1/8" 440C HT'd by canadian knifemaker supply and RC tested at 60
honduran rosewood burl handle scales with 1/8" black G10 liners and stainless pins.

Last edited by J.Lec; 03-09-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Steel Addict

Really interesting design. Did he say why he wanted such a flat tip? Great work on your part.

I love the handle, what kind of finishing did you do to the scales? That wood is awesome, I'll have to try and pick some of that up.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Steel Addict

He said he wanted a 5" blade with a "Tanto" style tip but a contured wood handle
the wood is realy nice for sure. Super oily stuff, all I did to finish it is sand it to 1000 grit then a quick buff on a loose wheel.

Last edited by J.Lec; 03-09-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Steel Addict

starting the sheath today, I really dislike leather work but it's a necessary evil.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Thought I'd mention to you that your logo is on the 'post' side of your knife. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you intended but if you look at other knives both commercial and custom you'll notice that nearly all of them are marked on the 'mark' side. So, I guess it's a matter of whether or not you intended to be a non-conformist in this particular regard ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Thought I'd mention to you that your logo is on the 'post' side of your knife. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you intended but if you look at other knives both commercial and custom you'll notice that nearly all of them are marked on the 'mark' side. So, I guess it's a matter of whether or not you intended to be a non-conformist in this particular regard ....
no Ray, that was totaly accidental. This is the first knife I have marked, and I should have run inside and looked at some pix to see what side to put it on but thought I remembered what side it went on. Oh well next time I know for sure lol

Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Steel Addict

I wasn't real happy with the cover pic I had made for this knife so I played around with my light box and came up with this. not drasticaly different but looks nicer with the background

Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM

Well, that does look nice with the background. Now for the 'my opinion' part: BUT the overall photo shifted to too much yellow and you lost contrast on the knife itself. In other words, the original picture was a better picture of the knife while this one has a nicer background. I see lots of guys try to make artsy pictures of their knives - and that's not a bad thing - but often they get so wound up with the background that a lot of the detail in the knife gets lost trying to make the background look cool. You didn't make that mistake, your background looks good - it complements the knife without looking too busy and over powering the knife. It's just that the subject - the knife itself - is weaker when compared to the original photo. If you had the look of the original knife with that particular contrast, color balance and saturation on top of the second photo's background I think you'd have the best of both worlds.

Another mistake that is often made - and which you DID NOT make - is leaving a huge background around your knife. Your photo is nicely cropped and that's something others should aspire to. If you are submitting photos to a magazine they usually want big background areas behind the subject because it gives them more choices for cropping to fit their pages. Let's not forget though, that the knife is the subject of the picture and that is the part people want to see. The background should be just exactly that -background - it should barely even be noticed consciously.

BTW, folks, Photoshop is really easy to use and can often be downloaded for free if you don't have it. Get an old copy like PhotoDeluxe Ver 4 if you can find it, it's small and powerful but not complicated. With that single tool you could easily adjust all of the photo characteristics of these photos that I have been prattling about. Even a truly bad picture can be saved once you get a little practice with the software....

Old 03-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Master

Looks good neighbor ! customer will be very happy !

Rob in Kelowna
Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Skilled

Beautiful work J.Lec. I love the sheen on the wood. What is G10? Never heard of it...
Ray, I'll run the risk of having to learn something new again, but what's the "post" and "mark" thing?? I stamp my knives on the - I guess - "post" side, because when you draw a knife from a sheath (typical right-handed) you would see the stamp without having to turn the knife over. Doesn't that make sense? i never thought there was a "preferred" side. Doh!

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 AM

G-10 is a kind of fiberglass, very popular for knife handles, especially folders.

'Mark' and 'post' is one common terminology for how to name the sides of a knife blade. Figuring that right handed is most common, when a right hander holds a knife to look at it the blade tip faces to the left. That left side has the maker's mark on it - the 'mark' side. The other side is called 'post'.

Another less common terminology is 'obverse' and 'reverse' but that seems less logically descriptive to me ...

Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger4 View Post
Looks good neighbor ! customer will be very happy !

Rob in Kelowna
Thanks Rob, I hope the customer will be happy. BTW I was born and raised only a couple hrs from kelowna. In Ashcroft (close to Kamloops)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckluftinger View Post
Beautiful work J.Lec. I love the sheen on the wood. What is G10? Never heard of it...
Ray, I'll run the risk of having to learn something new again, but what's the "post" and "mark" thing?? I stamp my knives on the - I guess - "post" side, because when you draw a knife from a sheath (typical right-handed) you would see the stamp without having to turn the knife over. Doesn't that make sense? i never thought there was a "preferred" side. Doh!
ckluftinger, the honduran rosewood took an awsome finish. However the stuff was hard as a rock. Also it smelled like fruitloops while sanding lol. this was my first experiance with G10 found out quickly that it scorches very easily.

the program I use to edit my photos is called GIMP it is a freeware program you can dowload online. works good

Old 03-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Skilled

I've worked with Indian rosewood before but it doesn't look nearly as nice. This is very attractive.
Ray, your description of "mark" makes complete sense - I'll hide behind me being ambidextrious - meaning I have two left hands, all with thumbs - and I'll put my mark wherever I remember to put it and claim it was on purpose . Kidding aside, I'll have to pay more attention to these fine details... Thanks for pointing it out!

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 AM

Note on G-10: it is fiberglass which means that you really, really want to be wearing a good respirator when you grind on it. If you can smell it then it's dangerous. The tiny glass particles get into your lungs they don't come out until that glorious day in your future when Obamacare pays for your free lung transplant ...

Tags
awesome, blade, custom, design, forge, handle, knife, knifemaker, knives, leather, maker's mark, pins, post, scales, sheath, software, supply, tanto