MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
ChopSaw table upgrade

After seeing a version of this at my good buddy, Jim Clow's place, I've been meaning to do this to my chopsaw for a couple of years now......yesterday I was cutting up some "W" pattern for restacking, stepped on a small leftover that had hit floor.....and ended up doing the splits! So I finally got busy and got it done.

Jim's is a much more refined version, and he has a MUCH nicer chopsaw table them me.....but I went to the scrap pile, dragged out some stuff, and went to work. I replaced the table top, and built a "funnel" system, with a sliding drawer under the "funnel"......to catch all the stuff that would otherwise end up on the shop floor. Works great! Just one of those "improvements" that makes life around the shop not so dangerous (I'm way too old to be doing the splits!)

I pulled the rubber "feet" off the chopsaw, and used the existing screws to "bolt" the saw to the table top.......and in turn used self drilling screws to attched the table top to the frame....that way when the saw wears out, I can remove the table top, remove the saw, and replace it without having to rebuild a whole new table.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Steel Addict

That's pretty cool, Ed. I don't have one of those saws, but glad I saw this if I get one down the road. And by the way, I had a pretty good laugh visualizing you doing the splits .

Jeremy
Old 08-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Skilled

I had done this many a year ago to mine due to the ones in the Military they did it to catch the scraps, sparks, and debris that come off the saw . I really guess it is the simple things that do help folks out . Many things done to machines that help are for safety also .

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 08-24-2014, 03:45 AM
Master

Thanks for the ideas Ed, and Jim. It's easily one of the dirtier machines in he shop. Looks like you can actually have normal odds and ends set up on the down range side of the saw.

Thanks for the pictures, Craig

Tags
bee, military, pattern, shop, simple