MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 03-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Skilled

Here is an interesting article about stock removal vs forging. http://morethanjustsurviving.com/knife-forging/
What do you think? Has actual science been done to see if one method makes for a stronger, better edge holding blade?
In the steel stock that knife makers use, has the steel been sufficiently forged so that hand forging is not really needed? Technically?
Regards, Sam
Old 03-12-2017, 06:27 PM

Whoa! Don't open that can of worms Sam! lol!

Just commenting on the possibility that some milling has been done in the production of some Randall blades--nothing more (and the mere suggestion of that might get me tarred and feathered). It just sorta looks like it..., to me..., only me.

I'm not suggesting this is good or bad, better or worse--I'm just making an observation...
...and its probably wrong.

I'd just like someone to convince me either way.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 03-12-2017, 08:19 PM
Skilled

Not taken that way at all Andy. It's an interesting topic, and the truth is the truth. In fact, should be flattering to have handmade work mistaken for precise millwork. If anything, it's the highest form of complement.
The workmanship of Randall's have always been of the highest order, with a few exceptions of some soldering that Bo did early on.
I can see the relevance of the high precision of millwork, but many of us, me included love the fact that they are handmade, that the skill has been passed on from master to apprentice. Old school. If I was a young guy, the modern way would probably appeal to me too. I think part of the American way has always been to be as efficient as possible, and this computer way is more efficient, but it takes the human, blood, sweat and tears out of it. In my Randall's, I love seeing those human inconsistencies, that's part of "handmade" charm. Like the waviness of the blade, knowing that it was forged by hand. I am one who values that.
I think everyone who values Randall's are comfortable with knowing that some are made by stock removal, but most are forged. I think it would be impossible for Randall to advertise forged, but use CNC machines.
I think your question was valid based on your observation.
I have learned a bit about alternative ways of knifemaking today. It would not be for me, it's what I would call cookie cutter, but I'm just old school about that.
I appreciate the thread, it has spurned some thought.
Regards, Sam
Old 03-13-2017, 04:30 PM
Steel Addict

ALL RMK's are hand ground on 8" grinding stones, no CNC machines are used on any blades....the lines in these blades are from the bear-Tex wheels we use for final polishing...they do tend to bring out the polishing lines from our horse glued up wheels...
Old 03-15-2017, 08:10 AM

I saw the word 'we', so I will assume some first hand/in-house knowledge.

I accept that answer and thank you for it. I've learned something and that was the goal.
Much appreciated!

Stones ehh? I made my first (and only my first) knife on a stone. I see the appeal.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 03-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Skilled

Andy, I think it safe to say Dirty Water has first hand, in-house knowledge, as he is the shop foreman for Randall Knives.😀
Thanks Scott for clarifying the process.
Regards, Sam
Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM

Awesome!

www.kansasknives.org

Old 03-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Andy I'm not as young as I used to be but I can still see in the photo you posted that those grind lines are NOT uniform. If they had been done by a computer they would have been precisely the same. Randall's are hand made. Can you imagine the legal action against Randall if they advertised one way of making the knives and then did it another completely opposite way.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:40 AM

I've never seen an RMK advertisement, so I wouldn't know about that.

I just had a question and I received a solid answer. I'm good with that.

www.kansasknives.org

Old 03-22-2017, 05:47 AM

I have restored this thread after talking to Andy. "It's all good".

Best,

Ron
Old 03-22-2017, 08:55 AM

Thank you Ron and Andy!

Cheers!

David

Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 AM
Skilled

Thanks Ron and Andy. I'm glad to see that this thread was restored.
Regards, Sam
Old 03-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Guru

Re: CNC machining

I'm not a machinist, but I worked in machines shops as a precision welder and sheet metal mechanic. Depending on the size of the CNC machine you could machine swords with one. We had some huge ones and the man who programmed them made more money than the owner of the company did in salary. He machined the "screw" portion of a screw compressor out of a 36" piece of round bronze once. I can't layout a screw helix, but he programmed it into the computer no problem.

I can say for a fact that if they didn't want to leave machining marks on the part they can put cutters in that hardly leave any lines at all and control the rate of speed, like finishing a blade with a scotch brite belt, very fine and shiny. The female part of the screw compressor was huge and done on a CNC lathe. Doing a knife with a 600 grit satin finish wouldn't have been outside of these guys skillset on a cnc mill, or for that matter some of the machinists could do them on a bridgeport manual mill as well. If you're young and want a good paying job, learn how to be a machinist. Only requirement is that you have to be smart.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
If you're young and want a good paying job, learn how to be a machinist. Only requirement is that you have to be smart.

As soon as I read "young", I was out.......and then I saw "smart"........

I quite prefer the adage of Red Green: " If the girls don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy".

Tags
bee, blade, blades, blanks, cnc, forged, grind, grinding, image, knife, knifemaking, knives, made, make, military, post, randall, shop, stainless, steel, stock removal, tool, tool steel, water, web