MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 08-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Registered

Smile Ralph Bone Knives surface on eBay

Hi all,

So it looks like I do indeed have a genuine Ralph Bone folding knife. As for its value, I can only go by what I see is selling on eBay and recently three auctions had Ralph Bone items, the folding one is very similar to what I have and it went for $490!!!
Is that a typical price for a Bone knife? Not that I plan on selling mine but its nice to know its value.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=43334

Rob

The more you know, the more you learn how little you know.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:21 AM

Ralph Bone knife

Rob, Your right, the older I get the more I don't know too. I didn't know Ralph made folders, thats interesting. I have a 5 inch fixed blade hunting knife that I bought new in 1968-9 and still have it. I have seen a few of these go for around $300-$500, so I assume your folder would be worth around that same figure. I'm not an expert on bone knives but mine has a "bone" shaped mark on the blade and is really well made. It has a rosewood handle with brass guard and butt cap, and the sheath has a stone pocket and is marked on the back with Johnson's Leather, Casselberry, Fla. and has a C5 stamped under the logo. Inside the bone is "Bone Lubbock, Tx" and on the other side of the blade is C 525. These probably don'[t help you out much with your folder but thought I'd share the info anyway. Terry

Old 08-31-2003, 09:40 AM

Ralph Bone knife

Rob, It's me again, thought I'd share a little trivia on Ralph, I met him at the NRA convention in Kansas City in 1980 and he had a booth or table there displaying a Ruger #1 that he had engraved and it was top quality workman ship. I believe he had made the stock too. Quite a gunsmith plus knifemaker. I believe he taught gunsmithing at the Co. School of Trades in Lakewood, Co. in the early 60's. Most of his knives were probably made in the late 50's or earyl 60's., maybe into the 70's, don't know for sure. But I bought mine Bone knife in Boulder , Co. in about 1968-9. Hope this helps you out. Terry

Old 08-31-2003, 10:47 PM

Terry -- sounds like you and I have very similar Bones. Mine is an upswept hunter, 5", same brass hardware, same stamp on the front, C450 on the other side, same sheath. I bought it from a guy in Alaska who used it for about 30 years as an annual hunter, but it's still in great shape. May be the sharpest knife I own, certainly has a ton of character.
Lucky17, yes, I've also seen Bone folders go for several hundred, tho 490 would be the highest I think I've heard of. Great knives, seem to be well worth collecting. As an aside, I once heard that DeLeon was a student of Mr Bone, tho I can't confirm that.
MtMike

Old 09-01-2003, 01:01 AM

Quote:
I once heard that DeLeon was a student of Mr Bone, tho I can't confirm that.
A couple of the vendors who sell a lot of Deleon's knives have made that assertion as well.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Registered

Ralph Bone Knives Info

Hi Rob, Terry and Mike,

It has been nearly a decade since you all have posted information about Bone Knives. I found this forum by way of a Googvle search request from my husband. I first found Bone Knife Company, The / Lubbock, TX - (806) 798-7100 and found that knife sharpening is all they do now and that the original owner/maker, Ralph Bone (I believe) passed away 3 years ago. So without any information from the gentleman I spoke to or any referal to answer questions I have, further net searching brought me to this site's forum and your discussion of Bone knives.

Thank you and as soon as I have the information about my husband's inquiries, I will be back to do more research. I hope this note finds all of you happy and well and still playing with your knife collections!

JEM
Old 04-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered

Ralph Bone Knives Info

Hi Rob, Terry and Mike,

It has been nearly a decade since you all have posted information about Bone Knives. I found this forum by way of a Googvle search request from my husband. I first found Bone Knife Company, The / Lubbock, TX - (806) 798-7100 and found that knife sharpening is all they do now and that the original owner/maker, Ralph Bone (I believe) passed away 3 years ago. So without any information from the gentleman I spoke to or any referal to answer questions I have, further net searching brought me to this site's forum and your discussion of Bone knives.

Thank you and as soon as I have the information about my husband's inquiries, I will be back to do more research. I hope this note finds all of you happy and well and still playing with your knife collections!

JEM
Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 PM

JEM -- check out Bruce Voyles auction website http://www.jbrucevoyles.com/. Ralph Bone folders (and fixed blades) do show up there once in a while, and yes, the do sell for several hundred each time. Compared to today's folders they are very plain, obviously meant to be working knives, not show pieces. But as there are those of us who appreciate the quality of Bone knives, they continue to be collectible. I wouldn't recommend them as a source for your retirement fund, just never know if they will continue to appreciate in value, but one or two would be a very nice addition to any collection.
The last I had heard of Ralph before his death was that he was doing some gunsmithing, but no longer made knives.
Hope this helps,

Mike

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, hunting knife, knife, knives, ralph, sharpening