MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 11-27-2005, 03:52 AM

Contest #66 - Thomason

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 11-28-2005 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:52 PM

Knife is by Bernard Sparks, circa 1972. I traded an old Clyde Fisher skinner to B.R. Hughes for this one. B.R. told me, "This was as good as anyone could do in 1972." Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear - this knife can handle them all.

Forgot to include the image details.

Knife superimposed on the old deer camp photo which I 'aged' by desaturating the colors, adding sepia tone and blurring a bit.

Knife shot on neutral gray paper for ease in eliminating the background so just the knife could be placed in the image.

Two shots of the knife were made with different lighting arrangements and combined, using one as a 'background' in photoshop and the second as a 'layer.' I adjusted the opacity of the layer to blend them for the best 'look.'

Both images were shot at ISO 100, using tripod, mirror lock-up, + 0.67 exposure compensation to move the histogram to the right (and therefore avoid noise in underexposed areas of the image), 45 mm focal length which is towards the mid-range of my 24-70 mm wide angle zoom lens and 3,150 degrees Kelvin (white balance) at f16.

The only difference (in camera settings) between the two shots was that one was exposed for 1/13 sec. and the other for 1/10 sec. As mentioned, I varied the lighting.

As with the background, I desaturated the knife and added some sepia tone, in keeping with the theme of a 33 year old snapshot, but kept everyhing about the knife sharp and in focus since it's the important part of the image.

Finally I added a drop-shadow on the knife that is oriented down and right. I adjusted the variables of color, opacity, spread and distance on the shadow to create depth and '3-D' effect, again because the knife is what's important in the image. And finally I added the text. I wanted the 'title' of the image to stand out with the knife so I applied a drop-shadow to the text using the same orientation and other settings as with the knife to be visually consistent.

Then I put a 'frame' around the image consisting of a thin black 'stroke' and a canvas extension using a color from the brass on the knife. I duplicated the finished image, resized it for the net (I aim for between 100 and 150 kb usually) and switched the color space from Adobe RGB, and file type from TIFF (originally I shot both in RAW format), to sRGB and JPEG.

Please forgive the lengthy detail but even if this image is not particularly appealing to anyone, the detail might be helpful to someone who, like me a few months ago, is struggling to use the camera and photo-processing software to effectively get the idea from inside their head onto the computer screen.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 11-27-2005 at 07:38 PM.

Tags
knife