MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-29-2001, 12:39 PM
warden

heat treating O-1

Does anyone out there have a good way to consistently heat treat O-1? I want to heat treat it differentially and temper it to 59-60 RC. The equipment I have is Wayne Goddard's "world's smallest forge", a propane torch (JTH7) and both oil and brine quenchant. I'm a new knifemaker and am learning. Would it be better to send the blade off to have it heat treated by a professional? Because of its alloy content and difficulty annealing, is O-1 a good choice for a beginner? Since I'm ordering it in bar stock (PG), shouldn't it already be annealed?
Old 06-29-2001, 02:25 PM
Mondt

Without a furnace heat the blade until it is no longer magnetic, then quench in oil or goop (via Wayne Goddard) at about 125 dgrees. Use a shallow pan or a stop of some sort to get the edge quench you desire. Temper in a toaster oven or your kitchen oven (clean the oil off first!) at 400 degrees for 1 hour two times. 450 degree temper will drop your hardness a point or so. This should get you close to what you want.

Your 01 should be annealed already. 01 is an excellent steel and is very forgiving in the heat treat area. If you mess up just start oven again.

Good Luck!
Old 06-29-2001, 06:23 PM
Gary Mulkey

Here's a tempering table for O-1 that may be of help:

Temperature(Fahr) Rockwell hardness(C scale)

200____________________63/65
300____________________63/65
350____________________62/64
400____________________60/63
450____________________60/62
500____________________58/60
600____________________55/57
700____________________52/54
800____________________48/50

Hope this helps.

Gary
Fall Creek Knifeworks
Old 06-29-2001, 06:45 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Warden,
Welcome to the CKD.Yes you have picked a excellent steel to start with.It is forgiving as mentioned above and has a wide range on the Rc scale that can be easily obtained.O-1 is the favorite for many here .

There are several products on the market that will accurately measure the temp of the blade during the heat-treat process and can be gotten at a relatively low cost.I personally like Templiq;it can be found at www.brownells.com/Index.html.This will help assure that the blade is reaching the right temperatures.

Hope this helps and that you sign up as a member of our little community.

Old 06-29-2001, 08:23 PM
DC KNIVES

Warden,I use O-1 primarily and heat treat my own knives.I heat until non- magnetic then just a little more,then quench in warm oil( I use olive oil) about 120-130 degrees.Keep in quench till cool enough to handle.I then use a propane torch to differentially treat the blade.I start by heating the handle first and then the spine until it starts turning a bluish-purple,work it forward slowly until the edge is a light gold ,then quench in water.If you make a mistake and get the edge to blue ,start over and re-heat treat.You can also edge quench the blade by heat treating then quenching just the edge only.Another tip is dip the blade in a solution of water and Borax before heat treating to help remove the crud off the blade.Hopes this helps,Dave
Old 06-29-2001, 10:08 PM
warden

re:heat treating O-1

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded. I've spent more on books about knifemaking than I have knifemaking so far, but I've gotten more information from this website in two nights than I have anywhere else. As we say in Luzianna: 'preshadit'!
Old 06-29-2001, 11:09 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Re: re:heat treating O-1

Your welcome! And yes this place is great to get and share information.The invite is still open so come on and join our little community.

As a newbie myself I can say that you will not regret joining ,it is free too.And loads of interesting things going on and being discussed or regular basis.

Old 06-30-2001, 12:34 AM
warden

re:heat treating O-1

I appreciate the invitation to join. I thought I had by having a user name and password. The page is still listing me as an unregistered user. How do I join?
Old 06-30-2001, 10:19 AM
Bob Warner

It could be that you are just not logged in. Look at the top right of the page pub42.ezboard.com/fcustom...forumfrm12 and see if it says " logged in as warden" if it does not, try logging in by clicking the little lind across the top of the forum titles. If it does say you are logged in, send a message to alex and ask him for help.
Old 06-30-2001, 01:51 PM
Little Hen Knives

Welcome aboard Warden!!! I would have replied sooner but I`m a little busted up right now (broken wrist and such) You will like it here , very helpfull and friendly people! I use O-1 pretty much exclusively and my heat treat process is very much like DC knives and it does work nicely...I temper at 350F and get about 58 to 59rch.

Have fun!!

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives