MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 11-02-2003, 09:59 AM

TrackRock

Though this was not an "official" gathering of the Georgia Custom Knifemaker's Guild, many of the Charter Guild members were present and accounted for. Much interest was also shown by many attending in joining us as we shape the Georgia Knifemaker's Guild.

Below are some of the sights and "sounds" of the TrackRock gathering. John and I were there only for Saturday as I have grandmother duties I did not want to pass on today.

First is the location--absolutely stunning. Going up the mountain to get there is not hard---it is getting down the other side that is the problem (at least for those of us who are flat-landers). Oh, and Pop, the way you sent me home....well......

As with all gatherings of people with common interests, there is always a showing of "treasures"

Also there was lots of instructions and help for those learning and those who have lots of learning.

(Mark giving Wayne and Chuck a few pointers above and then helping Gus with forging below)

Crex had his nephew, I believe his name is Brian, there showing him how to forge and grind. Warning right now, move over fellows, this young man is going to give you all a run for your money.

And John Costa was there working on a project of his own.

Ken Simmons, of Penguin Forge, fired up his forge on Saturday to heat some steel to pound.

And what a treat to see a "gentleman" forger in action. Hey Brent looks like you worked up a sweat!

Brent did pretty good after he figured out you used the hammer to pound the steel and not just hold it over the steel and wave it to get it to cool. Below is his very first forging effort.

And of course no day would be complete without Pop there with supplies.
There were others there that I knew, Sandy, with his leather work, doing a demo on sheath construction; and others I met for the first time. There was even local newspaper coverage for the event. And as good as lunch was, John & I were sorry we would not be around for supper.

The day was absolutely beautiful, the sun was warm, the sounds of the birds, the horses, and the hammers hitting the steel made it a very nice day.

Oh and I learned my first lesson in forging terminology---forging, even in first, little, knives as Brent did are not cute or cuties. I forget what you can use to describe them (I am a slow learner) but cute and cutie are not the terms to use.

John & Joan

Old 11-02-2003, 08:31 PM

You're a quick study Joan. Really glad you and John could join us for the day. Nice pics and documentary. Today was just as fine! Gets kinda tearful when you have to pack it up though.
Neph's name is Ryan (kinda important to a 14 year old). Took it hard when I made him leave my favorite finishing hammer, got kinda attached. Guess what he wants for Christmas now!
Still have a hard time believing Brent drove all the way up form Savannah just to loose weight! What a nice guy, trust you made it back ok Brent. My door and shop are always open to you when your up this way.
I'll be working up a list of attendees and visitors for Mark to post with more pics later this week. This will probably show up on the Outpost.
We hold these hammer-ins twice a year and the Campground has always been a most excellent and accomodating host. The manager is rapidly becoming one of us and has successfully forged a number of blades (he's hooked!). Talked a little about the GA Guild with him and he thinks it can only be a positive thing. He also said we were welcome to use the facilities with a little advanced planning, almost any time.
I also discussed this with my co-conspirators in these hammer-in events and we don't feel it would be a problem to work it into a Guild sanctioned event (at least one of the two).
Ought to give us something to chew on until Feb. meeting so you guys think about pros/cons.
Crex

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
forge, forging