MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:57 PM

history channel, forged in fire

I would like to know why a MS blade smith is doing a show on the history channel that makes knives weapons we have spent the last 15 years trying to get people to see knives as tools and now we have this nut job doing a show on how all knives are weapons. I'm sorry if I get kicked off this form for my thoughts but dang we are having problems as it is with the general public. Just my 2 cents worth, Mike Houston

Old 07-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Skilled

I agree, knives can be, and should be treated as tools. As such test like chopping, edge retention and overall strength are important. Most people who aren't familiar with bladesmithing aren't going to recognize a camp knife as a tool, they think a Bowie is scary. Anyway, even part of the MS testing is to forge a dagger. It's not perfect by a stretch, but it beats the heck out of anything produced to date in as much as putting bladesmithing in a good light. Perhaps someone will see the show and appreciate what you do and pay you for it.

Tags
blade, bowie, camp knife, dagger, edge, fire, forge, forged, knife, knives, retention, show, tools, weapons