MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 08-28-2003, 10:07 PM

Engraved EV4N1 Ironwood Folder

I just finished having this knife photographed by the CKD's very own administrator, Alex Whetsell. I must say that I'm very pleased with the job he did.

For those who didn't read about this knife over in the Fine Embellishment forum, here's the story and the pics (Alex posted the pics in the Kit Knife Forum but I thought I'd post here as well since so many of you don't have the occasion to visit over there):

The Photos

The Story

One of our very own CKDForum members, Rich Slaughter, had asked me to make a knife similar to my "Desert Flame." Although the ironwood has substantially different figure, it is some of the finest presentation grade I've seen, with amazing chatoyant effect (You can almost see the depth from here).

After I replaced the bolsters with 416 stainless, I told Rich that I thought those great big bolsters were just begging to be engraved. Once he received the knife he apparently agreed and sent it on to another member, Jim Small with the instructions to forward to me when he was done so that I could have it photographed by Alex (lot of CKDers brought together on this). You can imagine how thrilled I was when I opened this package. Jim did a wonderful job (you can just make out Jim's name where he signed on top of the right bolster)...and of course big kudos to Rich for bringing us all together.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 08-31-2003, 06:59 AM
Master

Dennis,
That is one fine looking knife. The file work, ironwood and engraving work great together. Good job.....

Joe Mason
Old 08-31-2003, 12:15 PM

Thanks Joe-

Just got your e-mail...If you'll check out the profile of the blade on the above knife, you'll see how significantly it's changed from the original EV4N1 "skinner" shape. I've made about a 1/2 dozen of these and in each instance ground down the top edge into this clip profile, which I personally find more pleasing. The 1st two I made nearly a year ago prior to owning my KMG...and I ground down a pretty fair amount of the (already hardened) steel with nothing more than my Dremel!...Took quite some time, and a whole lot of patience!!!

My 2nd one of these became what I call the "Desert Flame" (a reference to the great figure in the Ironwood and the flame-like appearance of the "S" pattern filework),...It became the model for all the subsequent versions. I still carry that as my EDC and just last night finished shaping and etching replacement bolsters out of some really unique and unusual Damascus I picked up from Bob Eggerling, while rooming with him at Blade (helps to know the right people)

They turned out great but I'm not finished yet...I'm going to be doing something new (for me) and will be adding some color to the damascus (hint: It required my placing an order for some Hazmat restricted material)

I'll of course post pics when finished.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

PS. Forgot to mention, I've already ground an ATS-34 relpacement blade as well....Not much left of the original kit!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 08-31-2003 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:25 PM
Steel Addict

Looks great! Elegant and Desert iron always works. I wish I hade such ironwood.

Old 09-01-2003, 09:39 AM

A great looking piece of work all around Dennis: Great filework, beautiful ironwood and first class engraving (not to mention the quality of the knife itself).

I'm guessing the first thing you reach for in the morning is your Optivisor?

Jack
Old 09-01-2003, 03:00 PM

I have 2 Optivisors (two different focal lengths...4" and 8"...that way I don't have to switch lenses as frequently)...I also have a Bausch and Lomb visor...it's supposed to be comparable to the Optivisor,...Although I do wear it occasionally when I need a quick peak with a 12" focal length, I do not recommend this cheaply made import...it's uncomfortable and the visor does not adjust or flip up and down with the same ease as the Optivisor...(BTW- Enco has Optivisors on sale for $18 bucks! That includes the lens.)

And yes, when I'm in my shop, the Optivisor almost never leaves my head.

Andre- I have many sets of similar quality, bookmatched, ironwood sets of scales...I'd be happy to help you out if you think you can use folder-size sets. Shoot me an e-mail and let me know (reach me via e-mail through my profile in "Members")

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 09-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Steel Addict

A really beautiful piece. Good to see how nice a collaboration can be. Sounds like fun too.....Kevin
Old 09-02-2003, 12:32 AM
Skilled

beautiful knife

Beautiful knife Dennis, Great filework & engraving; Keep up the good work, Dwayne

Romans 8:28 "and we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose."
Old 09-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Hall of Famer

very impressive work, all around!
thanx for the show, dennis.

Tags
blade, knife