MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Steel Addict

I have learned after working in the medical field while in the military and experience with many doctors with my wife's situations that the arrogrant, condenscending type you described are the ones I want no part of. Like you said they are too concerned about how right they are and are not very good on doing investigative (wonder where I came up with that term ED) work to find the problem. Prayers go to you and the family, keep us posted.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Well, today's Doc appt got cancelled. The nurse called me around 12:30 and said that they were in a power outage, and that my Doc had gone home "sick" at lunch time. She said she will try to reschedule me for tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

In the morning I'm going to make a visit to a Chiropractor to see if they think they can help me. When I was hurting so bad over last weekend, my Mrs. talked me into it...saying "it can't hurt."

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Listen to your wife, Ed. She sounds like a smart woman.

I know what you mean, Walt. I've had doctors tell me that the lab results couldn't be right because they didn't support their diagnosis.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Lester; 09-06-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Steel Addict

Sorry you are having all this trouble, I know is is no fun!
The best advice I ever got when in a potential wreck where there would be no survivors, was when a friend told me to "stick with it your sob, stick with it" I did and we survived.

I pass it along, Stick with it my friend!

You will be in my prayers.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Living Legend

It took me five doctors and thousands of dollars out of pocket even with insurance to find the cause of my sever head pain. But the fifth doc found it and a 45 min surgery fixed it for good.

So as mentioned above don't give up and read as much as you can online about your situation.

Hope you get relief soon, pain does not make you tougher. It's eats away at you from the inside out.

Tears don't come from being weak, they come from having to be tough for too long.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
pain does not make you tougher. It's eats away at you from the inside out.
Amen to that! I never knew what real, long term pain was until this situation. Just as you said, it eats away at a person, and impacts every aspect of your life.

Tomorrow is the day that I go in for another Colonoscopy and and EGD Bravo. I suspect it will be Monday or Tuesday of next week before any results are available. After all the "passing around" by the local Doctors, I have to admit that I'm not overly optimistic that tomorrow's tests will yield much in the way of results.....but there is always that glimmer of hope.
I've been in contact with my Primary Doc about a referral to the Mayo Clinic, and he's assured me that it's in process. I'm hoping that we can get things done, and that I can get to the Mayo Clinic quickly.

I'll do my best to keep everyone informed on the progress of things. Thanks for being here, and for listening to my ramblings.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 09-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Steel Addict

Mayo is a fine medical center Ed they produce some of the best results in the country, and I don't sat that because I live in MN. I have had many friends and acquaintances go there and have all talked about the outstanding treatment they received from the very caring staff. Keith Johnson is familiar with the facility if you have any questions I'm sure he would be more than happy the talk with you about it.

Jim

Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Skilled

Hi Ed,
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm no doctor, but my family has an extensive history of Celiac disease, and your symptoms sound exacly what my mother's sister had about fifteen years ago. They thought she had cancer and she thought she was going to die. A smart doctor told her to cut out all wheat products for a while and what do you know, she miraculously recovered. Since then my mother, and two nieces have been diagnosed as well. It seems to be more common in women, but I know one male colleague of mine who is Celiac, and he gets violent spasms, pain, nausea and all sorts of stuff if he consumes even the smallest amount of wheat - even beer, soy sauce and Scotch! Cant' hurt to try - can't hurt any more than it already does...
Best of luck to you. My thoughts are with you.

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 09-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Skilled

Ed, my oldest daughter who you met was diagnosed years ago with Celiac's, ironically both she and her boyfriend have it. It was misdiagnosed in both of them for years, to the point where one Dr suggested it was all in her head. She found a homeopathic Dr. who diagnosed it and she's been living a much happier life (minus the ATV injury) since.

Her Dr. said it is one of the most commonly misdiagnosed conditions, (un)fortunately due to increased research and knowledge it's come to the forefront, the good part is that gluten free food is more commonly available commercially now and the prices are becoming more "manageable".

Good luck!

J

Old 09-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Enthusiast

Having spent several weeks in a bed at Mayo a few years ago I can vouch for the place also Ed. They can accomplish more in a few days there than can be made to happen in a few months here in MT. They took incredibly good care of me. Feel free to give me a call if you feel the need, 222-8153.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Well, after yesterday's "tests", I'm hoping that my referral for the Mayo Clinic comes through quickly. Yesterday they did another colonscopy, and an EGD/Bravo, where they looked down into my stomach again, and place a small recording "capsule" in my throat to monitor me over the next two days.
The Doctor was the same Gastro Doc that I have seen twice before.....What a butthead! He had no idea that I was there for both procedures, and became openly annoyed when I told him that the test order included a colonoscopy. While I was trying to explain my pain to him, he stood there with his arms crossed, with an annoyed look on his face, glancing at his watch!

I'm more sure than ever that the only way I am going to get anywhere, is to get outside the sphere of influence of these local Doctors. It's painfully obvious that they are not willing to do anything beyond what it takes to get paid, and simply will not even consider looking outside the scope of their chosen area of specialty. Professionals!? These Doctors could learn a lot from knifemakers when it comes to integrity and professionalism!

When I woke up from the tests, the Doctor was nowhere to be seen....he never even spoke with me after the tests, but Cindy relayed that he said nothing more then "Everything looks normal to me." This is suppose to be "the top" Gastro Doc in this area!
About the only ones who are "on board" with getting me some help/relief is my primary Doctor, and his head Clinical Nurse. I just finished leaving messages for both of them, begging them to get a referral in for the Mayo Clinic before these local bozos pass me around until I'm dead.
Hopefully the next time I leave an update, it will be to let everyone know I'll be headed for the Mayo Clinic.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Master

Pulling for you Ed. Ask your primary doc to track down the gastro findings because you haven't heard from the knucklehead that did the procedure. Won't lead anywhere, but it might help keep everyone on the same page. That board will 'exhaust' the local options first and none of them will realize the latest gastro report is not in your case file yet. The butthead might help you out here because it doesn't sound like he wants to be bothered with follow up.

We'll see you around, Craig
Old 09-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Guru

Hey Ed, hope things start getting better for you, just saw this, and for someone who has given so much of himself, you deserve to get some of the same back in a professional manner. Good luck.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 09-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Steel Addict

Sad to hear this appointment went like some of the others, Ed. Looking forward to hearing good news in the future about a trip to the Mayo Clinic.

Jeremy
Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Well, after waiting nearly a week, I tried to call my Primary Doc yesterday seeking test results. Of course he was "out for the day". So I called the Doc's office that actually did the tests. I spoke with his nurse, and she was a bit evasive, saying they had forwarded the results to my Primary Doc......so now I'm waiting on a call from him.

I pried as much as I could, and all she would tell me was, "whatever it is, it's not within our specialty area." Pretty vague, so I'm still in the dark as to what is going on with me.

Yesterday I had my first appt with a Chiropractor. A couple of weeks ago, Cindy and I had discussed a Chiropractor, and even though it's "out of pocket" (our insurance will not cover Chiropractors), we decided that at this point it's worth a try. He's a super nice guy, and one of the few medical type people who seem genuine, with a sincere desire to help me. He was totally up front and honest with me, saying that if I am not at least 50% better after 4 visits, he would help me look elsewhere for answers.

I worked a bit in the shop yesterday afternoon, and I don't know whether it was the working in the shop, or the Chiropractor visit, but I was in terrible pain the whole evening, and this morning feels like I just finished a marathon obstacle course.
I think today is gona be puttering around, and taking it easy (as in.. I can see Ed on the couch this afternoon)

I'm still putting the full court press on my Primary Doc to get the referral to the Mayo Clinic, but so far I've not seen any hard evidence....only his words saying that he will put in the referral.
With any luck, I will hear from either him, or at least his nurse today...and maybe get some good news.....and I thought the wheels of the government turned slow.....

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Tags
acid, advice, art, back, bee, buck, cancer, common, easy, file, handle, home, how to, knife, made, make, man, military, minnesota, mountain, package, pocket, press, simple, tools