MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Master

Wooden sheath lining

So far I've been making wooden sheaths, lined with balsa wood to wedge the blade in tight. It's been working decent, but can leave slight marks on the blade. I also want to try something else because I've never heard of anyone else using balsa wood.

I read in a book, forget which one, about different traditional linings. I think I read that felt is an option. Well the stuff at the hobby store is definitely made from something synthetic. I don't like that. Is there such a thing as natural fiber felt? Is there a better option for lining the inside? Thanks guys.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast

Try using cork. You can get a roll that is about 1/16 inch thick with adhesive on back from places like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. It compresses easily to hold the knife in place and won't mark the blade.

Last edited by racinca; 08-10-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Master

Hmm thats a good idea. I found some 100% un-dyed wool felt too. I'll have try both.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Some of the wooden sheaths and scabards were lined with shearling. It's thin leather with a short fuz of wool still attached. Glue the leather side to the wood inside. Lanolin in the wool will help protect the blade from rust. All you have to do to refresh it is to give the blade a coat of lanolin now and then and stick it in the sheath. Space the channel cut in the sheath so that the blade will compress the wool a bit and it will help retain the blade in the sheath.

Doug

Tags
blade, forge, hobby, knife, leather, sheath