MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:03 PM

Best belt sander

Just out of curiosity what would be the best belt sander you would recommend and why. I picked up this one recently http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-...nder-2485.html

It works pretty well for some of the tinkering I have been doing. But I wanted to see what other people use and why.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Well, obviously, if they can, other people use a 2x72". That's pretty standard among knife makers. Of course, those are mostly expensive so when we first start out we waste a great deal of money on every other sander imaginable. Most of us keep a 1x42" (I have one) or some kind of 3" or 4" wood sander (I have a 6x48") for odd little jobs. Really, if it has a sanding belt on it somebody has one in their shop. But, I'd guess that, except for the 2x72" we all eventually get, the next most popular and actually useful size could be the 1x42"...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 09-11-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Master

Having used 4x36, 6x48, 1x42, etc I agree with Ray that 2x72 is the best choice. Wider variety of belts available, economically priced belts.

If I were to use only 2 sizes a 2x72 would be my first choice, following by a 1" for small work.

KMG grinder tends to get consistently good reviews, but there are other good ones out there as well such as the TW90. Personally I use one I made myself.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Enthusiast

I have been using the HF 1x30 for several months now and It works... Not great, but it works. And it makes me crazy at times. You will figure little ways to modify it to fit your needs. If its all you can afford now, like I said... It works. I am trying to work my way up to the grizzly 2x72, (5-600) then eventually the kmg.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Hall of Famer

2 X 72 Is the way to go. But I still have the 2 X 48 , Kalamazoo I started with and use it often. There are allot of good grinders made. I use a Bader BIII . Best money I ever spent.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Enthusiast

I started with a craftsmen 2x42 and it worked , but soon I could see the huge advantage of some sort of variable speed. Upgraded to a Kmg using step pulleys , it is rock solid and I have to say I am in love, I can only imagine it gets even better with a vfd.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Steel Addict

Like most people I started with the HF 1X30 to save money... Soon I found it to make knife making more of a chore than the fun hobby I wanted.

If it is the only thing you can afford get an 1X42 (im not suggesting the 1X30 HF I HAD)
Personally, I found owning a 2X72 not only more productive but also it made the who process FUN and not a chore.

Because funds were tight I chose to make a KMG clone, this allowed me to buy pieces as the money became available.

To answer your question on "what is the best belt sander and why?"
IMO it is the KMG from Beaumont, search this board and and any other knife board, I would be surprised if you could find even one complaint about Beaumont's grinder or customer service. If i had the $$ I would place an order for one today.

Brett

Tags
art, bee, hobby, knife, knife making, made, make, making, wood