MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 01-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Steel Addict

Talking Dangerous Rooster

Well, I'm coming out of hybernation. Hate to admit it but I haven't been thinking about Randalls, knives or Hawks for the last six months. Until that is, when I saw this folder on ebay by Hen & Rooster. An old Hen & Rooster that is probably circa 1920's-30's. What struck me about the knife was the Randallesque
shape of the blade, and the shape of the jigged bone handle. I thought " now thats what Randall should have made in a folder". With the thought of a Randall style folding blade in my mind, I bid on the ebay auction to win it. And so I did. When the folder arrived, I was pleased at the condition of the carbon blade, BUT, I had trouble opening it. Blade would not budge. the little ball at the end of the knife looked like it wanted to be pulled, so I pull it while pinching the blade with my other hand to open the folder.
FLICK! Holly bejesus!, the #### thing is a swithblade, and nearly took my thumb and my nose off. Feeling like an idiot, I then realized what a "pull ball trick knife" is. It was a surprise to say the least, and a little like an episode with a Jack in the box. As fond as I am of old blades, this is the first Hen & Rooster folder I have ever seen in a pull ball switch blade configuration. It's also the first one I have seen in this style. The blade has the old Hen & Rooster logo stamped deep at the tang, and the other side has
a German Sheperd head, and " German Sheperd" written in Spanish. The logical conclusion I came to is that it is an early 1900's Spanish produced Hen & Rooster swith blade. Maybe one of you guys have some insight about this knife?

The funny thing is that after my six month retreat from Randalls, it was the Hen & Rooster that reminded me that the Randall influence in me cannot be denied. SOOOOOOO!, I'm back.

How are you guys??

Marc

Oh Yeah.. pics

Last edited by thewap; 05-14-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:53 AM

Hey Wapper!

You are indeed a sight for sore eyes I am so glad to have you back and looking forward to seeing more of your posts. Are you planning on making it to Blade this year? Sure hope so.

Cool knife! How old do you think that puppy is?

Best,

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 01-31-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:31 PM

Welcome back Wapper, you big sleepy head. I echo the sentiments of Mr. Bo!

I'm glad you were able to avoid any first aid, when you figured out how to open that neat looking folder. The stag appears to be quite attractive.

Marc, you said: "...it was the Hen & Rooster that reminded me that the Randall influence in me cannot be denied..." No argument here.

But to me the most important question is which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Ron, with regard to your question, it occurs to me that since Hen & Rooster starting making knives in 1864, there is no way that the knife could be more than 142 years old.

Cheers!

David

Old 01-31-2006, 07:22 PM
Skilled

Marc, glad you weren't wounded in the fracas! A cut fracas really hurts!
Cool knife too! It must have been a rather nondescript writeup on eBay 'cause I just had an auction pulled for a weapon I was trying to sell. A 1930s Presto with a huge and deadly two inch master blade. It springs to life like a tortoise, quite unlike your knife. Whew, I'm glad they are keeping that kind of stuff out of the gangs hands. I feel much safer now Welcome back!!!!!!

seuss
Old 01-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Steel Addict

Bo,
aw shucks.., missed you too! I feel rusty writing on the forum, but it's all coming back to me now!
I am sure going to try and make it to BLADE this year! About the knife, well when I bid on it, I
figured that it was an early 1900's or late 1800's knife. But when my nose almost came off.. the only
reference I could find to a pull ball type knife, is the Shrade 1930's. I figure 1930's is a good guess.
Thanks for the welcome back!

Moosehead!
It was your call that had me starting to look at knives again.. I think I'm awake now? (blink blink)
I wish it was Stag!, But it is jigged bone, which I am also fond of. And to answer your question,
"it was the Rooster that came first!" (he he ), and you are very right that the Hen & Rooster Co. was founded in 1864... I wonder when switchblade started showing up??
Good to be here Moose!

Seuss !
your right, the ebay listing did not mention "auto" or "swith" , just folder. So I thought it was a
rear lock release locking folder. Many autos are sold on ebay, I guess we have to learn to read between the lines.. Seems to me that a two incher is legal to sell on ebay..? BTW very very nice Morseth your selling there! Thanks for the welcome back!

Tags
blade, knife, knives, switchblade