MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 11-14-2001, 01:57 PM
KandSKNIVES

SOUND?

I have installed the latest version of MS Explorer and have the latest version Prodigy. I cannot get any audio on MSNBC or my radio player. I use a 56K dial up motem and using Windows 98 with latest upgrade. I could use a little help, but please remember, computers are fairly new for me. Any and all help is genuinely appreciated.
KEN (WWJD)
Old 11-14-2001, 04:21 PM
primos

Where's Alex, Jeff, and Jamie?

I'll be the first to jump in on problems I know something about. But on this one I'm clueless.

It is only the audio on MSNBC and your radio player? Can you play .wav, .avi, etc. ? Yuo may not know what those are. For one thing, the .wav files play the cute (annoying) little windows sounds.

Old 11-15-2001, 05:28 AM
KandSKNIVES

Thanks for responding Terry, I do get all those cute little noises, from the computer.
I am also able to use PalTalk, with no problem.
KEN (WWJD)
Old 11-15-2001, 07:25 PM
jeffj

Sorry, I've never used Prodigy, so it's hard to say. If you are getting sound at one site and not another, then it may be a different audio stream. Did you have the problem before you upgraded?

Jeff
Old 11-15-2001, 07:57 PM
KandSKNIVES

Yes, I had the same problem before I upgraded. I thought the up grade would cure the problem, but it didn't.
KEN (WWJD)
Old 11-16-2001, 12:12 AM
polarbearforge

sounds

I don't know that much about Prodigy, but I'll take a whack at it.

A few questions, first. Did it ever work? Does Prodigy supply a browser or are you using IE? Can you get sound from any other website?

If using IE, go to Tools->Internet options. Click on the programs tab and then reset web settings. After that, click the advanced tab and click restore defaults. In case something messed up it's settings, this should help.

I just went to MSNBC to see what's what, you're trying to play the videos, right? Do you get video but no sound? Which version of media player is installed? To find out, click Start->Programs->Accessories->Entertainment->Media Player->Help->About media player and see what it says. If it isn't 7.00, you can upgrade it and see if that helps.

Jamie
Old 11-16-2001, 07:17 AM
jeffj

Since you've had problems, it is most likely the configuration of the device driver for the sound card. You could try reinstalling the sound card driver on your machine. This mostly works, but I've found not always. The best bet is to get the manufacturer's driver software and reinstall. What type of machine do you use?

It may be that the audio stream software is somehow corrupted. Have you looked to see what audio streams sound okay and what audio streams do not? Is MSNBC a real audio format? Can you hear other real audio formats? It may be that you only need to reinstall one of these 3rd party packages again. This is what Jamie is suggesting above. Try installing Media Player.

The only other problem that I've seen that causes this is conflicting software packages. But in those cases I find that the behavior is consistent...that is, always poor sound. So, I would think that this is not the problem.

If you want to pursue the reinstallation of the device driver, let us know and we can try it.

Jeff