MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM

First knives

Hi @ all,

I am new here and very happy to hear some expert opininon.

Well, I didnt find the "perfect" knife for me.... i.e. I build it on my own.

FYI:
Handforged Damascus steel blade, Carbon handel and sheath. The left one is with belt clip and magnetic sheath holder. The others with leg holster.

I am happy to read your thoughts!!
Wbr

Dave

Old 01-16-2013, 06:05 AM

Welcome to the forums. Looks like you have a pretty good handle on the grinding process and finish to me.
How long you been making? How are your scales attached? What steel mix on the damascus?
Hope you don't live somewhere that the daggers are an important part of everyday life.
Fill out your profile and let us get to know you a little better.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 AM

Hi Crex,

Well, I have to agree with you. Daggers "do cut both ways" => I like the design but I am also not allowed to carry them :-) well, the solution (at least here in Austria) was simple, blunt one side of the blade. In fact my gilrfriend is using one for fishing :-) she likes the design too. But to be honest with you, in Austria no one is carrieng a knife usualy. I only carry them when I am fishing or in the forest camping etc.

Sorry I didnt catch it. Was your question how long it took me to build them or since when I build knifes?

Well its an old german forging company which is still using 1.2767 and 1.2842 steel. I guess not the best combination but its ok.

The other story why I build my own knifes is simple. I wanne create something unique and innovative. Let me give you an example with the knife on the left side of the picture (sorry pictures are really not profession). Its a working knife with belt clip holder. The material combination and design is (i guess) "unique". The sheath locking mechanism is made with help of a strong magnet+ shape of the blade i.e.: innovative because you can simply take it out fast and easy without unlocking something + secure funktion. the handles are mounted with self made metall pegs with barbs + epoxi. And yes the handles are made of 4mm carbon material in layers. The reason why I did it this way is simple, I wanted to have a clean design without any screw, revets etc.

The coating is special extra hard and resistand 2 component coating wich is actualy used for cars like lambos or ferraris .....

I think you get the point. I dont want to build something which 1000 other people would also build i.e.: no traditional knifes.

On the other side I also have to agree that I just startet und have to learn a lot for the future!

Next projek will be paracord knife with skeleton sheath.... well also not very traditional :-)

Thx
wbr Dave
Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 AM

Thanks Dave. Yeah, was asking how long you have been making knives in general. You have nice grind lines that are tough for new makers to get even close on the doubles.

Not familiar with the steel desiginations, do you know the general carbon contents of each?

Figured you used "hidden pins" on the scales, but thought I'd let you explain.
Sounds like the final protective coating is what we call Gel Coat here in the US for boats and other fiberglass products.
I use the rare earth magnets to retain my neck knives in their sheaths. Work very well.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-19-2013, 05:16 AM

Well, i build knives since 2 weeks... :-) this are the first experinces I get right now.
The magnets had been a problem yes. I had to change them because the first one was simply not strong enough. May i ask from wich company you buy yours?

The steel is a 45NiCrMo16 VNC 4 and 90MnCrV8 from an Austrian steel producer B?hlerit.

Thanks the grinding was very tricky for me, it took me a view hours to get is symetric :-)

I had the chance to see some pictures of your knives...... you do an amazing job. They look great!!!

Wbr dave
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 AM

My neck knives are a good bit smaller than the blades you have there, so I can use smaller magnets that I get at the local hobby store. Scientific/Lab supply stores will carry the larger ones, just have to do a web search for something local (your side of the pond).

I line my "magnet" sheaths on the inside with thin soft leather to protect the blade from scraping on the magnet.
I'll have to study-up on the steel designations still a bit Greek to me.

Thank you for the compliments on my work. Always striving to improve.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
bee, blade, build, build it, damascus, design, easy, forging, grinding, handle, hidden, holster, knife, knives, making, material, paracord, pins, scales, sheath, sheaths, simple, steel, supply