MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckluftinger View Post
Hope we're not confusing the issue too much, gigante!
Not yet.

Also, I do know for sure what the handle will be. The knife basically was born out of me finding some stabilized blue mahoe, Jamaica's national tree. Her family, as you may have guessed, is Jamaican.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Skilled

Sounds exotic! I don't know that wood, but if it is indeed blue like the name suggests, I can imagine it will look stunning. I'd love to see the finished piece. Good luck!

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 08-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Cool Kitchen knives

Gigante, After making several cooking sets and being a cook I would like to make some suggestions. The first being when you go to cook what is your favorite knife. Start with that shape (hopefully it is not a paring knife) because they are so small they can be difficult and fussy. Look at the handle of your favorite knife. Mine is a hunting knife that fits perfect. Look at the shape of the blade, I prefer the drop point for large and small chef knives. Then you have to decide on the steel. I know I am going to get in trouble for this but I am not a fan of stainless steel. You watch a chef on TV and the first thing he does is start whipping the steel back and forth on his knife whith some fancy moves that are supposed to impress you. The reason he is doing this is because he hit a bone and it turned the edge on his too soft knife. If we followed the reasoning of a lot of stainless knifemakers we would all drink from aluminum glasses because they do not break when they hit the floor, so don't drop them, that goes for your knife also. I use D2 because of the high chrome content they are stain resistant, not stain proof. Also you can not polish them to a high gloss (they orange peel) but they do take a nice soft sheen and hold an unbeliveable edge. Also the D2 is not hard to work with, I get my D2 from Admiral and use the stock removal system (6"X48" belt sander and 4" disk grinder) I would love to show some pics as soon as I figure out how to use this system. My three knife sets go for about $1000 (sold three)
Old 08-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast

oops, just noticed I never replied to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckluftinger View Post
Sounds exotic! I don't know that wood, but if it is indeed blue like the name suggests, I can imagine it will look stunning. I'd love to see the finished piece. Good luck!
The stuff I have is not very blue, unfortunately. It can be, and if I find some with a little more color before then, I may use it instead.

Thanks for the reply, johnhenry. It's my understanding that D2 is a difficult steel to work with and heat treat. I've only made two complete knives so far, and I don't think I'm ready to heat treat D2.

I'd love to see some pictures. If you have any technical questions, let me know.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Steel Addict

Did some digging and with the new kitchen knife kith taking place I found this very helpful in answering most of my questions. Hope it helps someone else to.

Tags
blade, christmas, forged, heat treat, hunting, hunting knife, kitchen knife, knife, knives, palm, stainless steel, teach