MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-17-2001, 12:26 PM
Steve Vanderkolff

attempting knife pic

Here is an ebony and aluminum fixed blade knife that is on my new web site.(yeah) I will try and see if I can get the pic to work.

My web site is www.ckg.org/vander_kolff/vander_kolff.htm
Please check it out and let me know what you think.
Thanks
Steve

Old 11-17-2001, 12:27 PM
Steve Vanderkolff

Whoops way to big. Sorry
Steve
but the pic worked, yeah
Old 11-17-2001, 12:47 PM
primos

The knife is cool Steve. Looks like it would be a nightmare fitting all the pieces. Good job.

The website looks good too, but you need to change the URL's at the top for your naviagtion bar. Also for what I assume is a logo for the Guild.

The URL's are pointing to images on your PC instead of on the net. I haven't checked the whole site yet. I wanted to get back and let you know about the navigation bar.

Looking good!
Old 11-17-2001, 03:15 PM
Steve Vanderkolff

Thanks
I have no idea what you are trying to tell me about the navagation bars. Not overly internet literate.
Steve

Old 11-17-2001, 04:28 PM
Bob Warner

Steve,

Across the top of your page there are bars that run left to right. In those bars ar buttons for going to you gallery and other places on your site. Those bars are not visible to Terry OR me. You probably forgot to copy the pictures from your computer to the net.

Hope this helps you understand what Terry is talking about. The only other way to tell is to go to a different computer (not the one you used to create the page) and look at your page.
Old 11-17-2001, 04:46 PM
primos

When you are building your website and put images on the page, you use a path to tell the web browser where to locate the image so that it can display it on the screen. This path is called a URL (Uniform Resource Locator).

For example, the URL you entered for the image you showed above was:
http://www.ckg.org/vander_kolff/ebony_scurve.jpg

That tells the web browser look on the web at www.ckg.com, in the area assigned to vander_kolff, and show the image called ebony_scurve.jpg. That is corrrect.

----------------

Now, most of the images on your website have the correct URL also. Except for the following:

The URL or (path) you have on your website for the "members.gif" file at the top of the page is:
C:\Design\KnifeGuild\May28\members.gif (which is on your PC, not on the net)

It looks like you have created an image map for the navigation bar. The name of the image is navbar2.gif. The URL you have for it is:
C:\Design\KnifeGuild\May28\navbar2.gif (which is on your PC, not on the net)

All the links in your navigation bar are also pointing to files on your PC instead of on the net.

What this means is that no one but you can navigate your site any further than the home page. When "you" click on a link it works because you are seeing the files which are stored on your PC.

What "we" see instead of a navigation bar is an empty box where the navigation bar is supposed to be. If we click on an area in that box where a link is, we get a "page not found" error because the link is telling our web browser to look on our "PC's" for your other web pages.

Does that sort of make sense? I don't know of an easy way to tell you how to fix it because I don't what you are using to design and upload your web pages. I'll have to think about this a bit.
Old 11-18-2001, 11:50 AM
Steve Vanderkolff

The web page is a service offered by the Canadian Knifemakers Guild so I will pass this info onto the guy that is looking after the site and let him fix it. Thanks for the info.
Steve

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife