MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 02-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Guard or no Guard

In the study mode of making a Frontieer era knife. Was wondering what the consensus is on traditinal knives. Did the have guards or not? Just wanting to pick your brains for ideas!!

God Bless

Mike

Old 02-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Hall of Famer

jackpot

Mike I did a search and came up with these two links

Blacksmiths Gazzette

Hudson Bay digital Museum Manitoba

Old 02-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mike- It really has in part to do with how you want to describe a "frontier" knife and maybe even more important what time period are you discussing. Period Correct is a term often touted by reenactors - the problem though is "what" Period is one discussing. For instance what is PC for the late 1700's for example does not hold true for the 1840-1850, the period in which I base most of my gear on.

In general pre 1827 frontier knives (and most other's as well) are guardless.

Then after 1827 - the birth of the Bowie and Bowies were definitely frontier knives - guards became more used, but the generic "trade" knife was almost always guardless.

Some books to check out are:

"Fur Trade Cutlery Sketchbook" available several places including it's home www.furtrade.org - this is the Museum of the Fur Trade's site and the back issues of it's quarterly are of inestimable value to any student of the frontier.

"American Primitive Knives 1770-1880" Gordon Minnis

"Early Knives and Beaded Sheaths of the American Frontier" John Baldwin

Sweany's links are great sources as well. But remember there really is no such thing as a generic "frontier" knife - too much depends on time period, area of use, etc.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Sweany: Thansks! Man those are cool sites!

Chuck: Thanks for the refrence. I made one some time back that had a Buffalo shin bone handle that was topped with a waterbuffalo horn spacer that flared to form a guard of sorts, nothing fancy, just a flare in the end of the handle that swelled to make a safer grip, Blade was made from a rasp with faint file markings left in the blade. I was thinking of the fur trapper area, but not stuck on anyone era, mabe a brass or copper spacer next to the blade?

What would you guys suggest for length? Mine was @ 17" total, was bigger better back when?

Or am I trying to attatch ideas to a piece that has no limits??
Oh well the mind is a triible thing to waste!!! LOL

Thanks for the imput guys. Just got ideas rumbling around in this Ol Jug and trying to get them out!

God Bless

Mike

Old 02-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mike-
Quote:
Or am I trying to attach ideas to a piece that has no limits??
Sort of, maybe....
Frontier knives came in all kinds of shapes and size - big was not necessarily better, but it was pretty popular. For instance in many early writings the Longhunters - Daniel Boone, et al , were known as "Long Knives" by the natives.

When thinking of designs also think of the major influences on Frontier knives, The French Trade Knife (basically a version of the common French Chef's knife), the Spanish Belduque, and last but not least the Scottish dirk. I think a lot of folks forget how much influence the Scot's Hielanders had on Frontier America from the mid 1700's - after the '45 - when so many were forced from their home and lands and transported to the New World. When looked at closely all three of the above named knives have a similarity to design and use and that transferred into such knives as the American Rifleman's knife.

The western trapping era gives an even greater leeway in design - as noted it was during this era (approximately 1820-1840 the classic Mtn Man period although I think that can be extended to around 1855) that the Bowie Knife came into being.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives